How Many Rooms Can I Bill For?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jr264

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering, how many rooms can an attending anesthesiologist bill for at the same time? I have heard MDA say that an Anesthesiologist can bill for up to 4 OR rooms simultaneously. Others say that Medicare law only allows billing for upto 2 OR? How is this situation different from private practive vs. a teaching hospital?

I am not asking this question so I can be a greedy MDA and bill for up to 4 CRNA run rooms? But I am wondering what is the accepted policy when it comes to medicare reimbursement? I know currently teaching hospital are getting paid a small fraction of what they should be getting reimbursed and there was a proposition to change that?

THe question also comes up that I would only feel comfortable supervising 2 CRNA or resident at a time? More than that would be very difficuilt and just increases the chance of law suit.

let me know what you guys/gals think. I also want to hear what the CRNA have to say about this issue.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

MDA = meaning Anesthesiologist.

I should not have been vague about MDA. MDA means Anesthesiologist either an MD or DO physician. Guys/Gals let's not get distracted from the focus of the question.

fakin' the funk said:
[Guys, can I take this one?] :rolleyes:

Umm...no speaky "MDA" in this forum.

= MD or DO, physician, doctor, anesthesiologist

jr264 said:
MDA = meaning Anesthesiologist.

I should not have been vague about MDA. MDA means Anesthesiologist either an MD or DO physician. Guys/Gals let's not get distracted from the focus of the question.
fakin' the funk knows what you meant. He's just suggesting that you not use the nurses' terminology.
It isn't greedy to bill for all the rooms you cover. The doctor is responsible for what goes on in all those rooms even if a CRNA is warming the stool, so he should bill for them.
If you are only comfortable supervising 2 rooms, then only supervise two rooms.