how many schools are you applying to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdom29

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
on average, how many schools are you guys applying to?

Members don't see this ad.

I personally applied to 6. I think it depends on your grades. My friend who applied last year had great stats so she applied and got accepted to 3 schools. One of my classmates who applied this year had B/C grades and a 280 OAT and applied to 12 schools and got into maybe 2 or 3 and waitlisted at 1. So maybe think about that when you apply. :)

I only applied to 4. I'm a little bit worried. My family wants to move to Cali so preferably I'd like to go to SCCO. My interview there is in january!! I'm so excited!! I know I wont get accepted to Berkeley with my stats. Western is my back up, but I really don't wanna go there since they are not accredited yet. That's a big risk.

Members don't see this ad :)

I applied to 5. I've heard from admissions office that that is the average - so most people are right around there. Anywhere between 3 and 7 seems pretty normal. Applying to more (by "more" I mean like 10+) is a little crazy. It's super expensive, and some of the admissions people have said they look down on that as students not being responsible enough to narrow their options and focus on the schools they want to get into and realistically see getting accepted to. But...I know for some it's a numbers game and they are banking on applying to many and hopefully getting into 1 or more, which is certainly okay too.

I applied to 8. I honestly regret wasting so much money. I only had one school that I wanted to actually go to and that was my first and last interview. I think it is best to narrow down your options also and think about where you really want to go, if you can see yourself at that school and living in that location.

I applied to 8. I honestly regret wasting so much money. I only had one school that I wanted to actually go to and that was my first and last interview. I think it is best to narrow down your options also and think about where you really want to go, if you can see yourself at that school and living in that location.

That's a good point. And you can always apply to additional schools later. So you can hit submit once with a few schools, then add new ones later and submit your OptomCAS to them. As long as your OptomCAS gets processed fast, you should know something from those other schools within a couple weeks of hitting submit (at least as far as any interview invites).

I applied to 7 because of wanting to open up my options. I don't shop in the store often, but it felt like it. I looked at the condition(Accredited or not), the style (programs offered), price (Tuition), and many other.

Optometry1988: I was just curious, to which 2 or 3 schools did your friend get accepted to? I have a very similar score and am also in the process of applying! Thank you!!

I personally applied to 6. I think it depends on your grades. My friend who applied last year had great stats so she applied and got accepted to 3 schools. One of my classmates who applied this year had B/C grades and a 280 OAT and applied to 12 schools and got into maybe 2 or 3 and waitlisted at 1. So maybe think about that when you apply. :)
Optometry1988: I was just curious to which 2 or 3 schools did your friend get accepted to? I scored very similar on the OAT and I am currently in the process of applying! Thank you so much!

Optometry1988: I was just curious to which 2 or 3 schools did your friend get accepted to? I scored very similar on the OAT and I am currently in the process of applying! Thank you so much!

He got into NOVA, Houston and the one in Pennsylvania. He got wait listed in Indiana and Chicago I believe. He had a killer personal statement and lots of community service/shadowing too. I hope this helps!

I applied to 6 schools, because I didn't write the OAT until November 25th. I submitted Optomcas around the end of October but I needed to postpone the OAT. I feel like this was definitely a lot later in the cycle than a lot of other people so I went for a couple more than originally planned.

He got into NOVA, Houston and the one in Pennsylvania. He got wait listed in Indiana and Chicago I believe. He had a killer personal statement and lots of community service/shadowing too. I hope this helps!

Yes it helps a lot thanks so much! When did your friend apply? I'm worried, I have 7 interviews but my score was a 280 also, and 2 interviews I've been on said they preferred I re-take the OAT. I really don't want to, but if it comes down to it, I will!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes it helps a lot thanks so much! When did your friend apply? I'm worried, I have 7 interviews but my score was a 280 also, and 2 interviews I've been on said they preferred I re-take the OAT. I really don't want to, but if it comes down to it, I will!
I believe that my friend applied before the end of the fall term...in December sometime. Hey you have 7 interviews...that is great!!! You will def get in somewhere. I was considering retaking the OAT, but I have three interviews so I doubt I will. I also only applied to like 5 schools lol. Where did you interview already? Let me know if you need any other help!

I believe that my friend applied before the end of the fall term...in December sometime. Hey you have 7 interviews...that is great!!! You will def get in somewhere. I was considering retaking the OAT, but I have three interviews so I doubt I will. I also only applied to like 5 schools lol. Where did you interview already? Let me know if you need any other help!

Thanks so much! Wow, I applied in the beginning of November. He applied this December right? I have interviewed at Alabama and St. Louis so far. I am going to San Antonio this Friday and PCO on Monday, the rest of my interviews fall in this month! I think you should be fine with 3 interviews, yeah I applied to 10. Have you interviewed yet? Good luck on yours :)

Thanks so much! Wow, I applied in the beginning of November. He applied this December right? I have interviewed at Alabama and St. Louis so far. I am going to San Antonio this Friday and PCO on Monday, the rest of my interviews fall in this month! I think you should be fine with 3 interviews, yeah I applied to 10. Have you interviewed yet? Good luck on yours :)

My friend applied this december, yes. I don't know where he is planning on going yet. I also have a friend who applied last cycle and she currently is at NOVA. I interviewed at MCPHS in Massachusetts and I will be at pacific university in oregon in a couple weeks. I got an invite to do a second application for chicago but I declined as that was a last resort. I got put on hold at NOVA. I have an interview for IU in March-ish...but I don't know if I want to go there or not yet. The interview is late so I will have to take other acceptances anyway. I know a family friend who goes to the one in San Antonio and she doesn't like it because the town is boring lol. But the school is pretty good. I know PCO is a good school so I am sure you will like it there! Good luck on the interviews and let me know how they go! The first one is always nerve racking but then I am sure it gets easier...so you will be set! Where do you think you want to go?

My friend applied this december, yes. I don't know where he is planning on going yet. I also have a friend who applied last cycle and she currently is at NOVA. I interviewed at MCPHS in Massachusetts and I will be at pacific university in oregon in a couple weeks. I got an invite to do a second application for chicago but I declined as that was a last resort. I got put on hold at NOVA. I have an interview for IU in March-ish...but I don't know if I want to go there or not yet. The interview is late so I will have to take other acceptances anyway. I know a family friend who goes to the one in San Antonio and she doesn't like it because the town is boring lol. But the school is pretty good. I know PCO is a good school so I am sure you will like it there! Good luck on the interviews and let me know how they go! The first one is always nerve racking but then I am sure it gets easier...so you will be set! Where do you think you want to go?

Well I'm not to sure yet. Wow, that's impressive he's already been accepted. I'm worried that I'll have to retake the oat...2 schools have have already asked me to retake it. I mean Id rather not retake it again :( thanks for.all the advice though, I also have an interview at oregon scheduled for the 27. I was waiting to see if I was accepted to other places first before booking flights. How.did you like Mass.? Thanks for being so helpful, I really appreciate it! :)

Well I'm not to sure yet. Wow, that's impressive he's already been accepted. I'm worried that I'll have to retake the oat...2 schools have have already asked me to retake it. I mean Id rather not retake it again :( thanks for.all the advice though, I also have an interview at oregon scheduled for the 27. I was waiting to see if I was accepted to other places first before booking flights. How.did you like Mass.? Thanks for being so helpful, I really appreciate it! :)

Retaking it is a pain lol. My pacific one is feb 10. Don't worry about getting in...you will! After you do these next two interviews, you can decide if you want to retake the OAT. if you get accepted there is no point! You can always call and ask for your application status. I really liked MCPHS actually. I knew a few people who did nursing and pharmacy there and loved it. You can still apply there too. Happy to help! :) keep me updated!

Retaking it is a pain lol. My pacific one is feb 10. Don't worry about getting in...you will! After you do these next two interviews, you can decide if you want to retake the OAT. if you get accepted there is no point! You can always call and ask for your application status. I really liked MCPHS actually. I knew a few people who did nursing and pharmacy there and loved it. You can still apply there too. Happy to help! :) keep me updated!

I will, keep me updated as well! Do you Know where you would like to go yet? It's expensive there isn't it? That's what I was hoping...was to get accepted and not have to retake the exam! Hopeful thinking.... :). Good luck on your next one, go get em'

I will, keep me updated as well! Do you Know where you would like to go yet? It's expensive there isn't it? That's what I was hoping...was to get accepted and not have to retake the exam! Hopeful thinking.... :). Good luck on your next one, go get em'

Yes it is expensive but they have dirt cheap student living. There won't be much diff because of that. It's easily a grand a month for rent by NOVA...while it's 600 at MCPHS. big difference. You should apply to MCPHS! Then we can be classmates if I go there:) they love great essays there. And I love the area. I don't know where I'll go yet. I like pacific and Indiana too....tough decisions!

I have applied to 7 schools, but i skipped MCPHS. I think i'll just apply to this one as well. My OAT score is just like yours. How is your GPA and the Extracurricular activities?

Yes it is expensive but they have dirt cheap student living. There won't be much diff because of that. It's easily a grand a month for rent by NOVA...while it's 600 at MCPHS. big difference. You should apply to MCPHS! Then we can be classmates if I go there:) they love great essays there. And I love the area. I don't know where I'll go yet. I like pacific and Indiana too....tough decisions!

Well thanks for the info! I may just apply if I'm not successful with the other interviews, gosh it's expensive lol I haven't booked all my interviews yet, but they're all w/in this month, I was waiting to hear a "yes" to see if I was interested in booking all of them. Tough decisions is right!! Did you hear from the other 2 schools or no?

I have applied to 7 schools, but i skipped MCPHS. I think i'll just apply to this one as well. My OAT score is just like yours. How is your GPA and the Extracurricular activities?

Yeah I didn't apply there either, we'll see though! My gpa is over 3.8 and I have almost 4 years of optometric tech experience, lots of volunteer work...so basically my OAT is what is holding me back :( WHat about your stats?

Yeah I didn't apply there either, we'll see though! My gpa is over 3.8 and I have almost 4 years of optometric tech experience, lots of volunteer work...so basically my OAT is what is holding me back :( WHat about your stats?

I have done more than 160+ hours of volunteering for a group practice (vision therapist), some other volunteers works, and right now I'm tutoring high school kids who want to go to college but can't pass the placement exam, Optomcas GPA almost 3.3.. So, i'm just really nervous if i'm going to make it this year. I f i don't make it then i'll retake the OAT, and try for next year. I really don't want go to any brand new school, because they keep changing their programs and I don't think they will be very stable.:(

Well thanks for the info! I may just apply if I'm not successful with the other interviews, gosh it's expensive lol I haven't booked all my interviews yet, but they're all w/in this month, I was waiting to hear a "yes" to see if I was interested in booking all of them. Tough decisions is right!! Did you hear from the other 2 schools or no?

Well, my Pacific Interview is Feb 10th...so hopefully I get in! I LOVE the school! Indiana...I don't know if I will go to the interview yet. I'm a city girl and I might go crazy in a small town! At least Pacific is near Portland! It is definitely hard to decide where to go. I live so far away (east coast) so if I move to Forest Grove...I will literally be moving across the country! However my boy will be following me so that makes me feel a lot better! :) Also, I feel better about going to Pacific or Indiana than MCPHS. I am apprehensive about the pre-accredited schools. How does Pre-accreditation work anyway? And yes, these interviews are crazy expensive! lol

Well, my Pacific Interview is Feb 10th...so hopefully I get in! I LOVE the school! Indiana...I don't know if I will go to the interview yet. I'm a city girl and I might go crazy in a small town! At least Pacific is near Portland! It is definitely hard to decide where to go. I live so far away (east coast) so if I move to Forest Grove...I will literally be moving across the country! However my boy will be following me so that makes me feel a lot better! :) Also, I feel better about going to Pacific or Indiana than MCPHS. I am apprehensive about the pre-accredited schools. How does Pre-accreditation work anyway? And yes, these interviews are crazy expensive! lol
Well pre-accreditation isn't too much you should worry about, a school needs to graduate its first class, but no Optometry school has failed! Aww yes, at least you will have someone, I heard the school is pretty, I cancelled mine today there wad accepted into San Antonio and prob. PCO. It's just a little to far away from home for me ( east coast). Good luck :)

I have done more than 160+ hours of volunteering for a group practice (vision therapist), some other volunteers works, and right now I'm tutoring high school kids who want to go to college but can't pass the placement exam, Optomcas GPA almost 3.3.. So, i'm just really nervous if i'm going to make it this year. I f i don't make it then i'll retake the OAT, and try for next year. I really don't want go to any brand new school, because they keep changing their programs and I don't think they will be very stable.:(
Aww well don't give up hope, you never know :) you have a chance, if not this year, next year! Keep your head up :). Everything will work out!

Well pre-accreditation isn't too much you should worry about, a school needs to graduate its first class, but no Optometry school has failed! Aww yes, at least you will have someone, I heard the school is pretty, I cancelled mine today there wad accepted into San Antonio and prob. PCO. It's just a little to far away from home for me ( east coast). Good luck :)

Pacific is pretty much as far as you can get from Florida! lol. My parents weren't too thrilled but I really think the school will be perfect for me. I know someone who goes to the one in San Antonio. She loves it there! Good luck and congrats on getting accepted! That's awesome. :)

Aww thanks so much! It's beautiful there, and the facilities are amazing! That's definitely far away lol but it'll be great for you :)