How many schools can I apply to?

Started by Inspired43
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Inspired43

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know there's 28 US schools, and some other nearby, some in europe, etc. Does anyone apply to all 28? That may be a rediculous question but I am a freshman undergrad just learning about this stuff. Also, what do schools in other countries compare to US schools as far as competativeness? Is it easier to get in in other countries? Thanks everyone! 🙂
 
I know there's 28 US schools, and some other nearby, some in europe, etc. Does anyone apply to all 28? That may be a rediculous question but I am a freshman undergrad just learning about this stuff. Also, what do schools in other countries compare to US schools as far as competativeness? Is it easier to get in in other countries? Thanks everyone! 🙂
As many as you can afford and have the time to do. Try for 28.
Realistically about a dozen is the top of the range.
 
There is no magic number of schools to which an applicant should apply - it is a rather personal issue. Some people are limited by the pre-req classes they choose to/are able to take. Other people are limited by location (if they have a spouse or family they are taking into consideration; or, if they have preferences for regions of the country based on weather, for instance). Other people have preferences based on program reputation, curriculum style, etc.

I personally applied to four schools two cycles ago, and part-way through the process I regretted it and wished I had only applied to my IS. I ended up attending Davis anyhow, but after I had two acceptances elsewhere but had not yet heard back from Davis I freaked out a bit, wishing I had applied to the one school I would be 100% happy attending without any doubts or regrets.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would only apply to the schools that you realistically see yourself attending. The factors that determine that are completely personal whether it's based on location, cost, requirements, curriculum, etc. It's expensive enough just to apply so there's no point in wasting money on applying to schools that you couldn't see yourself attending anyways.
 
Try for 28. [/QUOTE]
enhanced-buzz-5832-1310411994-40.jpg