Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

How many schools did everyone apply to

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by akitavet, Mar 7, 2007.

1. akitavet

Pre-Veterinary
    in one cycle? I would like to know what a reasonable number is. TIA :D

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. HiatusAfflatus

Pre-Veterinary
  4. JumptheMoon

JumptheMoon UPenn Class of 2011

Pre-Veterinary

Be careful...once you start working on VMCAS you think hey, it's really easy to add on another school, or two, or five! Until you start all the supplemental applications...and have to pay the corresponding supplemental FEES :p

5. Aninha

Pre-Veterinary
    I applied to 6 schools.
    I wanted to apply to several because I'm an international student...so I'm not in state anywhere, which makes it harder...so the more schools I apply to, the probability that I'll get accepted into at least one increases...that was my reasoning...

6. ckitten

Pre-Veterinary
    i have an in-state school, so 3 seemed like a good number to me.

7. InfiniVet

Veterinary Student
    6 schools...but the reason is that my fiancee applied to dental school (and got in!) - we were trying our luck to apply only to citites that had both a dental and vet school in it.

8. Habibti

Veterinary Student
    I only applied to 2, for the same reason an infinivet

9. RazorDoc2010

RazorDoc2010 Mizzou 2011

Veterinary Student
    I applied to 7...but I don't have an in-state school, only 3 schools that offer contracts. I agree with JumptheMoon that it's really easy to add schools on vmcas but those supplementals can be killers. As a side note though, some schools have pretty easy supplementals that if you have the money and you're into the school, it wouldn't hurt to apply to.

10. OceanAngel

OceanAngel NCSU c/o 2011

Non-Student
  11. sdb9

Non-Student
    5, I was trying to find a good fit for both me and my fiance.

12. philomycus

philomycus The Tree Rat

Veterinarian
  13. wildfocus

wildfocus DVM/PhD student

Veterinary Student
    4 - but i think cornell was a waste of time and money considering my chances were so low... so, should have been 3

14. SaberVet

Pre-Veterinary
    3 - Pretty much all I could afford to apply to.

15. ShelterGirl

ShelterGirl UC Davis SVM 2012

Veterinarian
    Only 1 - my state school. It's probably not a great idea to put all my eggs in one basket, but I REALLY want to go there. If I don't get in, I'll probably apply to 3 or 4 next year.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. flokemahe

flokemahe ISU DVM 2011

Veterinary Student
    schools I already have the prereqs for

18. cyrille104

same here, 4

19. Emio

Emio Fudge Bane

Veterinarian

shoulda been 4.

apply to as many as you want! wherever you think you could be happy, send an app.

20. RemyRipper315

RemyRipper315 UPenn Class of 2011

I applied to 4 -- my instate + 3 others closeby..

21. fingercrossing

Only one - my in state school. I already have loans from law school so I knew I couldn't manage out of state. It's the one I really wanted to go to anyway so I wouldn't have to move too far from my husband!

22. su_grad2007

su_grad2007 Texas A&M 2015

Veterinary Student
    I applied to 9 and no love for me :( 10 actually but I pulled my application from my in state school after I interviewed because I'm short 2 of the required biochem hours and I couldn't get them done before may. There's always next year. I'm actually looking forward to taking a year off from school and working.

23. texlaevis

Pre-Veterinary
    5... places with vet schools + good English/African literature PhD programs for the S.O. ... the precarious tandem grad school application balancing act!!

24. tuftshopeful

I applied to just one, my state school. I decided to apply too late in the year and couldn't make the deadline for the VMCAS deadline of Oct 1st and therefore couldn't apply to other schools.

25. DDoc

DDoc Glasgow class of 2012

Veterinary Student
  26. Fairyblastt

Fairyblastt UC Davis class of 2013

Veterinary Student
  27. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks UC Davis c/o 2011

Veterinary Student
    5.. but all the supplemental fees and such really did add up. In hindsight I'd probably have gone for just 3 :)

28. kate_g

kate_g Senior Member

Post Doc
    With this restriction, plus after weeding out places that had programs that totally didn't interest me or were in places my SO wouldn't move to, I had 4 - in-state and three others pretty broadly spread across the country.

29. shine_bluesky

Non-Student
    In Britain we are only allowed to apply to 4 (out of 7!). But that was stressful enough for me! I'm not sure i could cope with having to wait to hear from many more than that about interviews and offers/rejections.

I also don't think i could have coped if i had applied to more and then been rejected from them all. Being rejected from the 4 was bad enough for me.

Katie

30. horsybaby

Pre-Veterinary
    I applied to 3. I was advised that was a reasonable number- taking into consideration app. fees and supplemental applications. One school was my in state program. At this point, I am happy with that amount.

31. sundoggie

sundoggie UPenn Class of 2011

Pre-Veterinary
    I applied to 5!

32. Keygirl1

Pre-Veterinary
  33. thesonofdarwin

thesonofdarwin UPenn 2012

Veterinary Student
    4 - though I regret limiting myself. In retrospect I would have applied to 6.

34. alonepear

alonepear MissState CVM 2011

Veterinary Student
    4 - I have an in-state school, and 3 others rounded out it nicely in terms of affordability and supplemental apps.

Having to pay to fly to two distant cities, stay in hotels, etc, to interview, was also more than enough time and money for me to invest!

And my GPA's suck, so that crossed off all the schools that have high minimum GPA requirements.

35. winterfire1203

winterfire1203 VMRCVM Class of 2011

Veterinary Student

One was my in-state school. One was the closest school in the area to me. I didn't want to pay a lot of money and if I was going to pay a lot of money I didn't want to be far from home and a sympathetic money source ;)

36. hopefulinPA

hopefulinPA PennVet '11

One!

I knew it was where I wanted to go, and it was my in-state school :love: No sense in wasting money to apply to more schools just so I wouldn't hear the "eggs in one basket" speech!

37. DDoc

Veterinary Student
    Wow.........you must either have a TON of money, or now be very poor from all the application fees.
    7 alone cost me a bundle.

38. CookieBear

Veterinarian
    13. Everyone I had the pre-req's for, or would.

10 rejections so far. 1 acceptance. 2 pending.

39. spikey

spikey penn vet 2011

Veterinary Student
    one.

i'm out of state everywhere, but i only wanted to go one place. so i am. :D

40. Keygirl1

Pre-Veterinary
    actually neither.

41. DDoc

Veterinary Student
    I didn't mean that offensively or anything. Just started to add up a bit between VMCAS and supplementals.
    I admire the determination of those of you who applied to 10+

42. Sassygirl

Sassygirl OSU CVM Class of 2011

Pre-Veterinary

It's great that everything worked out for you. But I would just like to post for those who will be applying next year that one is the riskiest number of schools to to apply to... If your application is borderline in any way they might decide that they can wait on you... Plus, I know a lot of good applicants that didn't get into their in state school this year...

I applied to 4 by the way

43. scws

Pre-Veterinary
    5; in the beginning, i wish i had applied to more, but after all the interviews and travelling and money, i'm really glad with that number.

a little warning: i have HEARD (don't know at all if it's true), that applying to ALOT of schools is kinda a bad idea..cause certain schools will be like "oh, i think he/she will get into so and so school instead so we won't bother with her" or "why does he/she feel the need to apply to so many?"...i do not know if that's true, but one of the schools i applied to specifically asked me how many schools i applied to during the interview. from what i've kinda heard, it seems like those people who applied to alot seem to get alot of rejections..i don't know if that's just cause they applied to alot and thats why...but i know this girl who applied to 16, and seems to be having a rough time, but again, i don't know if this actually plays a factor...

44. QTkitty

QTkitty CSU PVM class of 2011

Veterinary Student
    I applied to 7 schools in the western US (so that plane tickets home wouldn't be too great), and ones that I had the pre-reqs for. I also want to note that when I went to my interview at KSU, they asked me specifically about some of the other schools I applied to. It would make me really nervous to only apply to one school because the schools can look at it two ways: they may either think you absolutely love only their program and will be flattered and happy to accept you (if you meet their expectations), or they may question why you only applied to one school. It's entirely up to you. The cost and supplementals do add up, but probably not as much as waiting another year to apply again. Good luck ! :luck:

45. ri23

ri23 OSU CVM Class of 2011

Veterinary Student
    I second what sassygirl said. Applyin to one school is kind of risky. I know a lot of good applicants that applied to one school, and they haven't heard back yet. I agree that adcomms know that people will reapply to vet school a few times, so they probably figure that they can wait another year on you. I would definitely apply to more than one.

I only applied to two schools. I love my state school, Ohio, and I've always had an affinity for Penn.

46. Aninha

Pre-Veterinary
    At my interview at Penn they asked me about the other schools that I applied to: "Why did you chose this particular list of schools?" (I applied to 6)
    I don't think they did that to "trick me"...because I had a reason for my choices, so i could answer the question....but just be aware that they DO look at the number or schools and which schools you apply to...so maybe applying to many many schools may make them think "she/he'll probably get accepted somewhere else..."

47. soxbox

soxbox CSU PVM Class of '11

Veterinary Student
    applied to 5... all the ones i had prereqs for (not taking microbiology really limited the number of schools i could apply to...) but all in all, 5 was an OK number... even though i have had only 2 interviews (yay for csu accepting me without one) they are so time/money/sanity consuming... i really dont think i would have had time or money to go to more (and im flying out to colorado for a few days next week)... though working full time and taking classes 4 nights a week doesnt help much with flexibility in that aspect either :)

accepted into 1
    waitlisted at 1
    interviewed today at 1
    no word from the other 2

48. CookieBear

Veterinarian
    In retrospect, I wouldn't have applied to the schools that only accept 10 or less non-residents. I think I could've saved some money that way.

Being a non-trad, and 30 years old, I wanted to be sure I felt that I gave this cycle everything I could. I didn't want to be saying, later on, "I should've applied there."

The number of schools that I applied to did not come up at my KSU interview.

Since I got in, I'm not planning on asking anyone for a "post-mortem" consult, so I won't be able to tell you if these schools counted my 13 applications against me.

Ultimately, I wanted this badly enough that I felt I had to try everywhere I could. I'm guessing that it was my GPA, GRE and lack of large animal experience that kept me from getting in elsewhere, not my 13 applications. I could be wrong... but we may never know!

49. Pennymare

Pennymare Ohio State Class of 2011

Pre-Veterinary
    I applied to 6 schools: Penn, Ohio, Purdue,Michigan, NC, and VA-MD.

50. jeeney

jeeney Ross SVM c/o 2012

Pre-Veterinary
  51. k9 <3er

k9 <3er UC Davis SVM c/o 2011

Other Health Professions Student
    i applied to 14 schools. Yes, I know thats excessive but I was afraid that no one would accept me. In retrospect, I don't think applying to that many schools hurt me. No one ever asked me why I applied to so many schools, they just asked me why I chose THEIR school. Applying to that many schools and filling out all of their supplementals really burned me out though but you gotta do what you gotta do. Hope that helped! :luck:

52. wolfpacktwirler

wolfpacktwirler NCSU Class of 2011

Veterinary Student
    4 schools... 1 instate, 3 outta state. all mine were around NC though, didn't wanna go to far away for vet school, especially if i COULD get the same education in the town I live in right now. Fingers crossed!:)