How many schools did you apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KellBelle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I was just curious how many schools you all applied to? I know that Pre-Med students typically apply to 15-20 schools which seems a little much to me. Does anyone know what a good number to apply to is? About how much did everyone spend on sending out their respective applications? Thanks so much for sharing!

Members don't see this ad.

Use the search function. This is asked about once a week.

8-10 is usually a good number to shoot for. Less if you have high stats, and vice versa.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone,
I was just curious how many schools you all applied to? I know that Pre-Med students typically apply to 15-20 schools which seems a little much to me. Does anyone know what a good number to apply to is? About how much did everyone spend on sending out their respective applications? Thanks so much for sharing!

maybe it's just me, but I think 15-20 schools is overkill. Whatever floats your boat though. I'd say 5-7 may be a good number, but it all depends on personal preference.

Thats only b/c most schools require Statistics and I don't have it. :mad:

Wow... those statistics are enlightening. It shows that the more applications that one has, generally the fewer the acceptances. There are no doubt very good reasons for this.

I applied to six schools this cycle, had 5 interview invites (only attended 4), 4 acceptances, and one waitlist (pre-interview).

Didn't think I was that competitive though coming into the cycle.

Last edited:
Honestly, most people only apply to a few schools at most. 10+ is just crazy. You would spend $1000+ on applications if you applied to that many schools.

Check out these statistics comparing how any applications applicants send versus acceptance:

http://www.aacp.org/Docs/MainNavigation/ForDeans/7735_Offers0506.pdf

I feel bad for the person who applied to 45 schools and didn't get accepted to a single one. :eek:

Personally, I applied to 15. Just look at my sig for info.

I think 10-12 is a good number, at least to me. It depends on your stats though whether to apply to fewer or more schools.

Last edited:
I applied to 18 schools, plus one school that doesn't use PharmCAS. So far, I've had two interviews, been placed on hold for interviews for 3 schools, and am waiting to hear from some of them in January. I am a reapplicant, so I really don't want to spend another year going through this whole process again. I just want to get accepted already!

But yea, the number of schools that you plan on applying to depends on your stats. If you have very competitive stats, then you would want to apply to just a few schools.

It seems that after applying to more than 3 schools, your statistical chances of being accepted do not increase; this is likely due to the fact that, generally, the best applicants only apply to 1-3 schools.

Who was this?

Jammerdez1 is referring to the PharmCAS Offers Report that Wolfpackhal posted the link to.

According to the report, one person applied to 45 schools and didn't receive any offers.... Yikes. My guess would be that the applicant had poor stats and figured that if he/she applied to that many schools, it would maximize the chances of getting at least one acceptance. :/

The person who applied to 45 schools with no acceptances must have A) been ineligble for most schools (too low of PCAT or GPA?) or B) had a 2.xx GPA + bad PCAT + lack of good essay, LORs, or experience. In either case, you can apply to all of the schools in the world, but you will not get accepted.

Anyways, that chart clearly shows most people apply to only a few schools at most, and that applying to more beyond a few does not significantly increase your chance of getting in somewhere.

Hi Everyone,

I applied to 4 schools. Personally, I did a thorough research on which schools I wanted to apply. I tallied my stats with the schools requirement, whether I meet the gpa requirement for in-state & out-of-state schools, LoRs (if there was a need for pharmacist letter), the remaining pre-requisites (if I can finish those on time) and If I don't meet their criteria, I didn't even bother.

The supplementals were time consuming for me. Some schools have 6 page supplementals (several essay questions) other schools have 3 page supplemental (one essay: why this school? why pharmacy?). Usually, supplementals may require you to fill info about your personal background, fill in pre-requisites, some school essay and supplemental fee. All in all may take you 1 day the fastest or a month if procastinating.:laugh: