How many schools should I interview at?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaidester

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have five interviews lined up in October throughout early November. I applied to 14 schools because I didn't take my DAT at the time so I had no idea how competitive I was going to be. Unfortunately, my only in state school VCU along with local schools (within reasonable driving distance) haven't sent me any interview offers yet. I don't think I enough money to flyout to all of these schools and book hotels because I am starting to run tight on money after applying through AADSAS and supplemental costs. I think I will have enough for 3-4 schools to flyout to assuming each trip is ~$500.

Now here is my question. If I fly out to 3 schools far away and attend interviews at all 3 of my locals, is that an ok number of schools to interview at for a decent shot of acceptance?

My other question is at what point should I decline interviews assuming I receive at least 5 more interview offers?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Use your head and make your own decision. No one can answer this question with any certainty.

Traditional advice would be to NEVER turn down an interview until you have an acceptance in hand. But, I turned down a few pre-dec interviews, so I can't tell you that without being a hypocrite.

My advice would be to attend as many as you can afford. If there are any schools you know you would never attend that school, even if it was your only acceptance - those are the ones you could turn down.

If your budget is going to cause for you to cut down on interviews, look long and hard and pick the schools that you would most like to attend and who has accepted stats that most resemble yours.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you consider yourself to be someone who interviews well?

I've been practicing interviewing here and there. It's getting better, but I'm not quite there yet. I still have a month before my first interview.

I would borrow money if that's an option. Do all pre Dec interviews and cancel any thereafter if u get in where u want. This sets up the rest of your life and avoiding another application yr is critical.

On the other hand, I'm guessing your stats are extremely high w 5 interviews already. If u are very confident you will have choices then cut some interviews out.

Personally, if I get to 5+ I will consider not doing some, but will probably go to all.

Last edited: