How many schools should you apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student2008

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, all, I'm applying to optometry schools right now and I am not sure how many that I should apply to. How many are you guys applying to? I think the admission rate for opt school is somewhere between 25% to 33%, so if we apply to 4 schools, our chance of getting in at least one of them is pretty good. So that's my plan, to apply to 4 schools. Does that seem like in line with what most ppl are doing?

Members don't see this ad.

Right now I've applied to 2 and have interviews scheduled for both of them. It was a risky move, considering the fact that I feel like my application and stats are average and nothing special. I've had materials (except my actual application) sent to 2 others in case both of these schools reject me, so worst case scenario I'll end up applying to 4. I think that's a pretty normal number. I just don't want to pay an application fee if I don't need to, it's a lot of money!

Im applying to only 2 schools, SUNY and NECO. Its kind of risky but thats the only schools I really see myself going to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm only applying to SCO. It's my number one choice BY FAR! I don't want to spend any more time writing essays, nor do I want to spend any more money on application fees, airline tickets, hotels, rental cars, etc.

I'm only applying to SCO. It's my number one choice BY FAR! I don't want to spend any more time writing essays, nor do I want to spend any more money on application fees, airline tickets, hotels, rental cars, etc.

It's my number one choice too! Hopefully we'll see each other there next fall :luck:

im applying to nine. others have said it seems like a lot, but i really want to increase my chances of acceptance. my GPA isnt stellar, so thats why. i figure its $50-75 per app for peace of mind, rather than just applying to my top 3 and being anxious.

I applied to 5 schools. I have interviews at 4 of them so far (I haven't turned in Pacific's yet). I will probably only interview at 3 of them though to save money on flights. So much money!