How many schools to apply to..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentdent2233

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering- how many schools do people usually apply to?

Members don't see this ad.

it really depends on what you will or will not do.
Some say 20 if your on the low side for DAT and gpa
10 is average
5 is if your on top of everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am probably going to apply to 22.

5 to 7 is kind of too few nowadays. I was advised to apply to about 10, people I've met in interviews had applied to 13-14. 22 sounds like too much. I'd say 10.
Don't be afraid to apply to a couple of more if you are interested in other schools.

Can't rememeber off the top of my head, but the average last year was around 8-9 schools, I believe.

Averages are irrelevant. The applicant applies to the number of schools that he/she thinks is sensible.

Going over 20 is going to come across as desperate.

I think this method should work fine.

If you have stats like 3.7+/22+, do not waste your time and money. Just apply to a few that you are very interested in. (5~7)

Stats like 3.7+/20 or 3.5/22+, apply to the schools that you are interested in plus a few backups. (7~10)

Stats like 3.5/18 or 3.3/20 or 3.0/22+, apply to the schools that you would go if they let you in. (15~20)

Stats like 3.3/18 or 3.0/20, apply to as many schools as possible and hope for the best. Or, take DAT again or do post-bac.