How many schools to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

izzle240

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying to optometry school this summer for the 2011-2012 school year. I was wondering how many optometry schools to apply to. I am definitely applying to 5, as that is how many you can send your OAT scores in the included price. However, I do not know how many more to apply to. Can optometry schools see how many other schools you have also applied?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Some opt schools will ask you for the list of schools you applied. My suggestion is to do some research about each school only apply to the schools that you are truly interested in. Since optomcas charges $125 for first school and $45 for additional schools and opt schools will also charge for supplemental applications, it makes little sense to apply to schools that you are not interested to.

Yeah there's absolutely no point in applying to schools you don't even want to go to. You're just going to end up paying a ridiculous amount in fees and for travel expenses if you get a ton of interviews. Save your time and money, apply ONLY to the schools you're interested in, and you'll be fine.

Do some research, and if you have a good idea where you want to go, apply to 2 or 3. If your application is good, that's all you'll need.

Weak application, maybe a few more, including one of the new schools as your emergency "fall back."