How many schools?

Started by dsherida
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dsherida

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How many schools are you guys actually applying too? So many people are applying to like 20+ schools, but I have heard that may actually hurt you a little because it appears like the shotgun method to med schools where you don't give a crap where you go. I have 14 and I am thinking that is good? Any thoughts
 
dsherida said:
How many schools are you guys actually applying too? So many people are applying to like 20+ schools, but I have heard that may actually hurt you a little because it appears like the shotgun method to med schools where you don't give a crap where you go. I have 14 and I am thinking that is good? Any thoughts


i think that schools do not know where else you have applied or to how many schools you have applied. but it has been a few years since i applied. somebody correct me if i am wrong




.
 
medicalstudent9 said:
i think that schools do not know where else you have applied or to how many schools you have applied. but it has been a few years since i applied. somebody correct me if i am wrong




.
No, that is completely correct- they do not have that information- although they may ask. I had an interview and the ass. dean asked me how many I applied to. I don't think its any of their business, anyways.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
dsherida said:
How many schools are you guys actually applying too? So many people are applying to like 20+ schools, but I have heard that may actually hurt you a little because it appears like the shotgun method to med schools where you don't give a crap where you go. I have 14 and I am thinking that is good? Any thoughts
I'm applying to 9 schools. It would be more but I am somewhat financially restricted, along with needing to agree with my fiance on the areas she would be willing to live in for four years.
 
It all depends on you mcat/g.p.a./application. I would apply to as many schools as you can afford. I'm applying to 35 schools (+ St. George in Grenada as a back-up) b/c I don't want to take the chance of being waitlisted or rejected and then having to re-apply next year. FYI: I have 27Q MCAT, 3.77 BCPM, and 3.53 cumulative UG + good experience.