How many schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USArmyDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a friend who is applying to dental school. At the time of applying, she will probably have at least a 3.1. How many schoools and which schools should she apply to? I think her DAT scores will be relatively good.

Members don't see this ad.

It would probably be best for her to apply to quite a few schools. Good ones to consider are some of the schools on the east coast and some on the west coast. There might be some possibilities somewhere in the middle too. :D

But seriously, its hard to say given the limited information. Have your friend check out average scores at each school and whether they accept in-state residents only. If she's somewhere around or above the average, she should have a decent shot unless it's a school like Meharry or Howard that are geared toward URM.

crazy_sherm said:
It would probably be best for her to apply to quite a few schools. Good ones to consider are some of the schools on the east coast and some on the west coast. There might be some possibilities somewhere in the middle too.

How many are quite a few? Shes a good applicant she just jerked around her first two years.

Members don't see this ad :)
USArmyDoc said:
How many are quite a few? Shes a good applicant she just jerked around her first two years.

I would say at least 15 to 20 schools, it doesn't hurt and tell her to apply EARLY like in late June early July.

Okay cool thanks. I am forcing her to make a user name and post on here. She started off really crappy (2.5) and now has her GPA up to pretty mucha 3.0. By the end, I anticipate her having a 3.1-3.2. I am assuming there is a personal statement just like in med school apps, no?

She just signed up....here name is PediatricDMD2be

Shes posting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ABOUT FREAKING TIME!!! :laugh:

Hiiiiiii... ok so im finally here!! ;) ok so as usarmydoc was saying i started off pretty low with like 2.5-2.7, I have 3.5 this semester and overall I hope to end with a 3.1-3.2. i havent taken the DAT yet but im hoping to get a good score on that. What are my options????

WOOOHOOOO....answer her questions guys!! Shes kind of a loser so she'll need all her help. ;)

PediatricDMD2BE said:
Hiiiiiii... ok so im finally here!! ;) ok so as usarmydoc was saying i started off pretty low with like 2.5-2.7, I have 3.5 this semester and overall I hope to end with a 3.1-3.2. i havent taken the DAT yet but im hoping to get a good score on that. What are my options????

Well u should apply early, and take the DAT early as well. since it's ur first time, I would recommend u take the DAT in May in case u don't do that well u can take it again in 3 months and u won't be late for applying. Otherwise if u take it let's say at the end of Summer and you don't do well (like 19 or above) u shall say goodbye to the class of 2011!
Good Luck