How many Shadowing hours and EC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tpwelie34

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have atm 75 hours of shadowing that I could increase up to over 100 if I wanted. I have however, no EC hours at all because I don't know what to do to net some. I've tried to apply to several libraries as a volunteer tutor but have gotten no reply yet. How many hours of shadowing is optimal for a good app? Would an app seem weak if I have only one EC but around 100+ hrs for it?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I have atm 75 hours of shadowing that I could increase up to over 100 if I wanted. I have however, no EC hours at all because I don't know what to do to net some. I've tried to apply to several libraries as a volunteer tutor but have gotten no reply yet. How many hours of shadowing is optimal for a good app? Would an app seem weak if I have only one EC but around 100+ hrs for it?

Don't even bother applying to ASDOH if you have less than 500 hours of community service. If you only have 100 hours with one EC, I'm assuming your GPA is through the roof (3.9+), so you should be perfectly fine.

Counting hours may be important for some schools but it's meaningless at others. Don't get me wrong -- all dental schools want to see that you've had enough exposure to the profession to know it's right for you. But a lot of schools are more concerned with the substance of your experiences, and also the diversity of your experience. Once you're in dental school you'll be spending plenty of time in clinics and exploring the various specialties. Be sure you commit some time to interests outside the profession before dental school, as those are the things that separate one applicant from the next. Everyone who's applying, for the most part, has spent a good amount of time in a clinic. Go beyond that and your application will stand out.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Sorry for asking but what is ASDOH? Will I need to have a pretty substantial amount of EC if my sGPA is around 3.5 at the moment? Do EC's and volunteer hours count as one thing? Also, I am heavily interested in music and have been taking guitar lessons and playing instruments for most of my life. Would playing in a band count towards my EC hours? How about time spent in my university's music club?