how many smp/postbac programs should i apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovescience

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all!

i am a recent UC Davis graduate. I had a 3.24 cumulative GPA, and a BCPM gpa of 3.05. I'm applying to Drexel, Georgetown, Eastern Virginia and Boston postbac programs, and I was wondering if that is a good number of schools to apply to. I will be taking additional undergraduate upper division science courses through an informal postbac at CSU East Bay for 2-3 quarters in the meantime.

Members don't see this ad.

hi all!

i am a recent UC Davis graduate. I had a 3.24 cumulative GPA, and a BCPM gpa of 3.05. I'm applying to Drexel, Georgetown, Eastern Virginia and Boston postbac programs, and I was wondering if that is a good number of schools to apply to. I will be taking additional undergraduate upper division science courses through an informal postbac at CSU East Bay for 2-3 quarters in the meantime.

Apply where you want to go to and places where you can afford to go to (and apply to);). Your GPA is respectable so if you don't care where you go, then just apply to as many as you can. I also recommend applying to the programs in CA, such as the ones at SFSU, SJSU, and if applicable to you, the UC's, Mills College, and Scripps. You meet the GPA criteria for UCD, UCSF, and UCSD, however I don't know if you are disadvantaged or not. Scripps on the other hand requires you to be a career-changer. However both Mills and Scripps have linkage agreements to med schools.

Just be sure to apply early, with your stats as long as you do this you should have no problem getting into any of them (assuming a good MCAT.)

Members don't see this ad :)
how high of an mcat do you need to get into smp's?

my gpa is ~ 3.3 right now, i plan on bumping that up to 3.4 when i graduate
my mcat was a 27 N :|

My MCAT score was 28P (Physical Sciences: 9, Verbal: 9, Bio: 10, Writing: P).

hi all!

I say, if you have the $$$ & time, apply to every school that you would actually go to.

As for MCAT, I would say 27 would be the minimum - most schools will state what they expect. I know that Georgetown SMP requires a minimum of 27 in except the rarest of cases.

some of these post bacc/smp are as pricely as Med school secondaries, it's kind of ridiculous. i'm applying to 12-15 schools myself, and the $$$ is really adding up.