How many students have left since Jan of 2004 at Ross U.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngman

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1st semester: 314 start, 13 left before the final.
2nd semester: 252 start.
3rd semester: 214 start.

so in two semesters, 100 students have been eliminated, either they quit, or they failed, or they are repeating.

Members don't see this ad.

youngman said:
1st semester: 314 start, 13 left before the final.
2nd semester: 252 start.
3rd semester: 214 start.

so in two semesters, 100 students have been eliminated, either they quit, or they failed, or they are repeating.

Sounds about right. You'll lose a few more after this semester too.

-Skip

we lost I dont know how many this past term to failing or moving onto BMSI.

We were trying to figure out how many made it straight through without repeating a semester to 5th. Number doesn't seem to be that high. Maybe 60 people tops out of 260.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will also notice that "your class size" will change during the "Step 1 limbo period" - the peroid after 5th semester. Step 1 seems to be another bottle-neck/filter.

lmbebo said:
We were trying to figure out how many made it straight through without repeating a semester to 5th. Number doesn't seem to be that high. Maybe 60 people tops out of 260.

That "number left" seems to be a little on the extraordinarily low side. Are you sure it's only 60? I was in a Fall Semester class, that was extremely competitive (called by some professors the best class they'd ever had at Ross) and we started with about 260. I mean, our averages on the anatomy practicals were routinely in the high 70's/low 80's. By the time we got to Miami, we'd still had about 150 originals left that had gone all the way through without any hiccups. A lot of people deceled from our class because it was so competitive. Other classes didn't have such a high attrition rate.

This is a very interesting problem for Ross administration. They are caught somewhat between a rock and a hard place. Here's why...

First, they know a lot of people read these forums - a lot of potential students - and they probably also know that a lot of these numbers are exaggerated (not maliciously) by the people writing messages such as this one. They have the exact numbers, but they just don't share them. So, this leads to a lot of "wild speculation" on forums such as these.

Secondly, they know they can't publish the numbers, even if they aren't as bad as we surmise, because then a lot of future students would read what the school has said and see that it is a really tough environment, and some potentially great candidates may be scared away. The probable truth is that the numbers ARE worse than they sometimes lead on. Many students "decelerate" and end up taking longer to finish their degrees. This also hurts their chances at securing a choice residency (there is a specific question on ERAS that asks if your medical education was interrupted or extended for any reason). Having the school admit this would kill their marketing.

So, we have to play this sort of game of guessing. The school won't openly share this info (and probably never will) because they need the numbers to appear stronger than they actually are, and the students will make observations and comment here. The point is the reality is somewhere in between what we say here and what the school publishes on their website.

The only truth, as I see it, is that the school does not simply hand out degrees - you have to earn it. They will give many a chance, but many will fail (for whatever reason) to finish the program. At this point, as I'm in my fourth year now looking forward to residency, I can say that most of the people who've made it this far have earned it and are quality candidates. The Ross system works in separating the wheat from the chaff, but many people will not make it. You have to work to make a dream a reality, and quite simply many people who start at Ross just simply do not have the "right stuff" to succeed in that endeavor.

A lot of students will not make it straight through without having to repeat or decelerate. Is it the majority? No. But, know that this is legitimate medical school that is difficult. You will be expected to master a very difficult (and equivalent to U.S. medical school) curriculum in a shorter period of time. If you couldn't get into a U.S. medical school and you're a self-admitted "weak" student academically, you really need to ask yourself if you have the "right stuff" to make it at Ross before you make a substantial investment in time and money. That's the ultimate point. If you can answer that "yes", then go for it. Just don't blame the school if you don't make it. I'm living proof that, if you work hard and do what you're supposed to do, you can. Just don't expect anyone at Ross to give you a medical degree for simply showing up.

-Skip

there is a specific question on ERAS that asks if your medical education was interrupted or extended for any reason).

wow, i didn't know that part. they should tell us at the very first semester. i think that it is getting really common after 2 semesters, there are quite a lot of who are repeating. there are always new faces in each new semester.

every number is true. i counted them from the seating lists that they posted outside the classrooms. i don't have time to count every semester.