How Many Surgeries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dejahthoris

Captain
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a writer, and for a character in the book I'm writing, I would like to know how many a surgeries a veteran surgeon might perform annually if this surgeon was highly-sought for their expertise.

I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

Thank you.
 
i'm a writer, and for a character in the book i'm writing, i would like to know how many a surgeries a veteran surgeon might perform annually if this surgeon was highly-sought for their expertise.

I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

Thank you.

837.
 
It varies depending on whether the surgeon is in private practice or is a professor of an academic institution.

Generally, a professor of neurosurgery at a medical school would do between 150-350 surgeries per year. More if he is clinically oriented, but if he does a lot of research he'll probably have less surgeries.

Private Practice neurosurgeons probably do on average more, around 250-400 operations per year. Some very very busy surgeons in private practice might hit 450 per year.