How many teeth do you need?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

js 24

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting at UT-Houston this fall, and I just wanted to get an idea of how many teeth I need to collect. Supposedly, I will use these teeth "for many 1st and 2nd year projects."

I'm just wondering how many most of you collected (or are collecting).

Also, any advice on preserving them?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hit up a couple OS offices with jars. At my school the more you have the better, especially since you'll be able to share them with classmates that didn't get many (or any).

You cannot have too many teeth. That's worth repeating. You cannot have too many teeth. Here's why: Most of your grades will be very subjective. It's all about how you can make it look. If you have more teeth you can choose teeth that "go" together. Also, the trick to surviving Endo lab is picking the best tooth.....it has nothing to do with your endo skills. I had enough teeth to fill up two 1-gallon milk jugs. Then some of my classmates came in with about 20-30 teeth a little fruit jar....mostly rotted 3rd molars. Then they want to be your best friend all of the sudden.

Another problem is that most extracted teeth are 3rd molars. These are the most worthless teeth in dental school because you can't use them for anything. It's also hard to find good teeth because teeth rarely get pulled for no reason. So the more you have to choose from the better off you'll be.

I had about half my teeth when I started dental school. During my first year I still had jars all around town to collect teeth for the 2nd year. You cannot have too many teeth.

Members don't see this ad :)
is this a common thing? i never heard of schools requiring teeth before reading it on this site. will case require teeth? cuz they haven't said anything.

Lidopaine82 said:
is this a common thing? i never heard of schools requiring teeth before reading it on this site. will case require teeth? cuz they haven't said anything.

Nah.. Case will provide all the teeth for you.

I heard something like filling the jar with mayo and vinegar before we give it to OS. Is that right?
If it is, how much can we put? what would be the good ratio for mayo and vinegar ?

And also, what is the easiest way to find OS in my area?
Thanks guys

Does anyone know if NYU has any such requirements of collecting teeth?

bluekty said:
I heard something like filling the jar with mayo and vinegar before we give it to OS. Is that right?
If it is, how much can we put? what would be the good ratio for mayo and vinegar ?

And also, what is the easiest way to find OS in my area?
Thanks guys

This might be a really stupid question, but what is OS? I also need to collect teeth.

Oral Surgeon I believe....

loro627 said:
This might be a really stupid question, but what is OS? I also need to collect teeth.

loro, i have not heard anything from LSU about having to collect teeth. Are you sure we have to?

bluekty said:

Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe.

Make sure it's not low-fat Mayo because the lipids are needed to preserve the teeth longer.

Alot of 11-12 year olds that are having ortho started will have their 1st premolars extracted, go to any pedo or general office and ask them to save those for you if possible.

Happy St. Patricks Day everyone :luck:

Do you preserve the teeth with one part bleach and ten parts water? Would the bleach make the teeth brittle?

And when we say 1 parts bleach to 10 parts water, are we actually referring to a 1/10 ratio.

for example

If I wanted to make 500 ml solution of this bleach water it would be
50 ml of bleach
to 450 ml of water

is this right???

hockeydentist said:
And when we say 1 parts bleach to 10 parts water, are we actually referring to a 1/10 ratio.

for example

If I wanted to make 500 ml solution of this bleach water it would be
50 ml of bleach
to 450 ml of water

is this right???

We used to be told to fill the jars with a 50/50 solution of mouthwash & water. They were then autoclaved at school when we started endo class. Apparently the bleach solution would make the teeth unusable for endo, but it varies with school.

I still find myself shucking plenty of teeth being lost due to perio disease. These teeth are usually restoration-free & caries-free and ideal for the projects you will need them for in dental school. They are easy to extract so many General Practice offices probably extract them. Therefore, make sure you hit up General Practice offices with jars as well where they do extractions - some offices refer all extractions out.