How many textbooks do med students by on average?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shadowlightfox

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've spoken to couple of med students, and a lot of them tell me that it's not like college where you need books for every class. All the information are taught via slides, and students study through that.

I also see some former med students selling off textbooks, and they end up having a lot of books to sell. So are there some classes where using textbooks are a must?

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of students buy all the textbooks right off the bat, I do not recommend doing this. For my school, everything that was on exams was straight from powerpoints. If I struggled outside of the lecture, then I would use my dear friend google. But typically all the info needed was presented. If you want one or two books just to reference throughout years 1&2, then I recommend something like First Aid.

Too many. Naive med students by too many textbooks on average.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are there books you guys recommend us to buy regardless of class requirements? I know of U World, First Aid, and Pathoma, but that's about it. Actually, is Pathoma just a textbook or is it more?

A lot of students buy all the textbooks right off the bat, I do not recommend doing this. For my school, everything that was on exams was straight from powerpoints. If I struggled outside of the lecture, then I would use my dear friend google. But typically all the info needed was presented. If you want one or two books just to reference throughout years 1&2, then I recommend something like First Aid.

Agree with this. My school was PBL for pre-clinical so ultimately you really did need almost all of the books, but not immediately. Ask second years what you actually need urgently so you can budget accordingly.

Are there books you guys recommend us to buy regardless of class requirements? I know of U World, First Aid, and Pathoma, but that's about it. Actually, is Pathoma just a textbook or is it more?

Pathoma is a book and a video series and it's well worth the money. You likely don't need it until second year though (maybe first year if you're more systems based).

Other resources I really liked: Sketchy Micro is fantastic. Sketchy Pharm is less awesome but definitely useful. Neuroanatomy Made Ridiculously Simple is clutch in your neuro block if you struggle with it like me. Rapid Review Pathology and the corresponding audio ("Goljan", only available through the internet) are clutch in boards time, but you don't need them first year. And since this is the osteopathic forum, "the green Bible" or Savarese is golden, no matter what your OPP faculty say about it.

Reactions: 2 users
Agree with this. My school was PBL for pre-clinical so ultimately you really did need almost all of the books, but not immediately. Ask second years what you actually need urgently so you can budget accordingly.

Pathoma is a book and a video series and it's well worth the money. You likely don't need it until second year though (maybe first year if you're more systems based).

Other resources I really liked: Sketchy Micro is fantastic. Sketchy Pharm is less awesome but definitely useful. Neuroanatomy Made Ridiculously Simple is clutch in your neuro block if you struggle with it like me. Rapid Review Pathology and the corresponding audio ("Goljan", only available through the internet) are clutch in boards time, but you don't need them first year. And since this is the osteopathic forum, "the green Bible" or Savarese is golden, no matter what your OPP faculty say about it.

Just making sure, but when you say green bible, you're talking about OMT review, right? Haha, I actually typed in "Green bible" on amazon and looked at the wrong book.

This may sound like an oddly specific question and weird question, but for the sake of potentially saving lots of cash, I'll ask. Should I always get all of these books "used" just to save cash, or is it a bad idea to get a used copy for any of these books?

Btw, I recently read "How the Immune System works," and I gotta say, I'm really glad I read the book. Prior to this, I've never taken immunology in college, and I never felt like an expert at it, but after reading this book, it did a really good job at teaching me how it works, and I feel more confident tackling immuno in med school. I kinda wish the author of the book made one for every system now.

Just making sure, but when you say green bible, you're talking about OMT review, right? Haha, I actually typed in "Green bible" on amazon and looked at the wrong book.

This may sound like an oddly specific question and weird question, but for the sake of potentially saving lots of cash, I'll ask. Should I always get all of these books "used" just to save cash, or is it a bad idea to get a used copy for any of these books?

Btw, I recently read "How the Immune System works," and I gotta say, I'm really glad I read the book. Prior to this, I've never taken immunology in college, and I never felt like an expert at it, but after reading this book, it did a really good job at teaching me how it works, and I feel more confident tackling immuno in med school. I kinda wish the author of the book made one for every system now.

Yes-- OMT Review. Sorry-- I don't know where mine is right now (it's still packed from a move) and I honestly didn't remember the title. We just call it "Green Bible" or "Savarese." Either way, it's clutch for boards and often for in-class exams too, even though our course director isn't a big fan of it.

I've heard good things about How the Immune System Works. Never read it myself.

Getting books used totally depends on how much other people's notes/highlighting would bother you. I like to mark up my own textbooks so most of the time used texts would drive me insane, but if you wouldn't care, go ahead and save the money.

Another way to save can be to buy one edition old, especially if it's a supplement and making sure the page numbers match won't matter for class. Price check it-- it won't matter for First Aid so you might as well get a new one, but Neuroanatomy Made Ridiculously Simple is <$1 for an old edition and $25+ for a new one. The BRS series is often similar that way.

Another way to save can be to buy one edition old, especially if it's a supplement and making sure the page numbers match won't matter for class. Price check it-- it won't matter for First Aid so you might as well get a new one, but Neuroanatomy Made Ridiculously Simple is <$1 for an old edition and $25+ for a new one. The BRS series is often similar that way.

Wait, less than one dollar for an old edition while the new one is literally more than 25 times the price!? There has to be some huge catch involved for buying the older edition then. Otherwise why would anyone pass up this opportunity?

You also recommended SketchyMIcro, but would it be redundant to have both Clinical Microbiology made ridiculously simple and SketchyMicro together? Has anyone ever had both or just one of them?

Last edited:
Wait, less than one dollar for an old edition while the new one is literally more than 25 times the price!? There has to be some huge catch involved for buying the older edition then. Otherwise why would anyone pass up this opportunity?

You also recommended SketchyMIcro, but would it be redundant to have both Clinical Microbiology made ridiculously simple and SketchyMicro together? Has anyone ever had both or just one of them?

Sketchymicro is the bomb, but pretty expensive -- especially if your school is like mine and has micro for 2 years straight.

I don't plan on buying any books unless it's absolutely required.

I bought zero books for school. I did buy pathoma. Everything else was digital pdf's.

It's older-- so it might not be up to date, might have errors that have been corrected in a newer version, etc. And that particular price differential is a more extreme example. You'd get the newest version if it makes more sense for class (like if you have assigned reading from Robbins, having the current edition makes a difference), if there's a huge time interval between editions and old info might be incorrect, etc.

As far as Sketchy vs. MRS-- depends on if you're a video or book person. I liked Made Ridiculously Simple and used it a bit first year, but that year our regular textbook was usually sufficient. I discovered Sketchy second year and loved it.

Sketchy (I really like sketchypharm too) and pathoma are pretty critical tools for systems.
As far as textbooks, I found the BRS physio and biochem useful in 1st semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used 2 books my first year, not counting atlases and Robbins. Talk to second years and find out what they think was useful. Generally most schools make sure that lecture + power point provide enough information to make sure you can pass your tests.

do NOT buy any textbooks, unless you want expensive decorations for your apartment. At my school, all you needed to do to get through your school tests was the ppts. Overall goal of year 1 should be to really learn the important material for boards, not all the super specific details from class. I'd spend my money on the latest edition of First Aid 1st year and sketchy micro membership (or grab a copy of clinical micro made ridiculously simple off an upperclassman). If you have path first year, get Pathoma not Robbins

It was required for us to read big Robbins (we had the dream team: Drsz Dubin and Puthoff) as well as micro MRS. Robbins is insane but clinical micro MRS was great. Utilized sketchy micro as much as I could during the course but never really committed to it as my has my classmates did.

The book I would highly suggest would def be BRS Physio if you are in a systems curriculum it helps slot!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

This is a semi-related question in addition to textbooks, but while it may not be a good idea to buy books now, what about other materials like stethoscopes, etc? Should I buy them now or wait til med school starts for those, too?

This is a semi-related question in addition to textbooks, but while it may not be a good idea to buy books now, what about other materials like stethoscopes, etc? Should I buy them now or wait til med school starts for those, too?

Wait. Your school/someone might give you some of it (Pennsylvania's osteopathic medical association gives LECOM students their stethoscopes at the white coat ceremony, for example), or you might not need it right away and can wait for your loan money, or there might be discounts.

Edited: grammar

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, so I'm looking at the pathoma website, and according to the prices I'm seeing for the subscription, how much I pay is contingent upon when I buy it. I think my school does a systems based approach, but the thing is, I don't know if buying Pathoma during the first few months is a good idea. I fear it may be a waste of money to buy it now as opposed to January. Is the book even useful within the first few months of medical school?

First Aid, OMT review, Anatomy atlas.

It was required for us to read big Robbins (we had the dream team: Drsz Dubin and Puthoff) as well as micro MRS. Robbins is insane but clinical micro MRS was great. Utilized sketchy micro as much as I could during the course but never really committed to it as my has my classmates did.

The book I would highly suggest would def be BRS Physio if you are in a systems curriculum it helps slot!

I don't like Puthoff or Clinical micro made ridiculously simple tbh. CMMRS is bland and a poor educational tool. It poorly describes both the microbes and leaves a poor descriptor and mental image of the patient. This as opposed to Sketchy which was honestly in my opinion a significantly better resources in terms of producing a concise idea of what the patient's presentation along with major high yield virulence factors.

Robbins was significantly more clear than clinical tbh. Images, color, and long descriptions go a long way as opposed to horrible drawings and jokes that make you want to beat your head against a wall. That being said, why we couldn't just be given powerpoint outlines to free up time to use other resources, ex. golijan, pathoma, fresh air is beyond me.

I don't like Puthoff or Clinical micro made ridiculously simple tbh. CMMRS is bland and a poor educational tool. It poorly describes both the microbes and leaves a poor descriptor and mental image of the patient. This as opposed to Sketchy which was honestly in my opinion a significantly better resources in terms of producing a concise idea of what the patient's presentation along with major high yield virulence factors.

Robbins was significantly more clear than clinical tbh. Images, color, and long descriptions go a long way as opposed to horrible drawings and jokes that make you want to beat your head against a wall. That being said, why we couldn't just be given powerpoint outlines to free up time to use other resources, ex. golijan, pathoma, fresh air is beyond me.

I barely used sketchy because I used it late and I also actually enjoyed the descriptions I'm CMMRS (hated the tables though). Also the thought of memorizing another thing (albeit, to help with memorizing) in two weeks was sickening to me haha.

I did not look at the ppts. Just memorized the book and did well!

Personally I bought as many of the heaviest hardcover textbooks that I could. If I'm going to be walking to and from class might as well get buff doing it ya know?

Okay, so I'm looking at the pathoma website, and according to the prices I'm seeing for the subscription, how much I pay is contingent upon when I buy it. I think my school does a systems based approach, but the thing is, I don't know if buying Pathoma during the first few months is a good idea. I fear it may be a waste of money to buy it now as opposed to January. Is the book even useful within the first few months of medical school?

Probably not. I didn't use it until second year.

Your best source for this kind of info is going to be MS2s at your school, though.

At mine, you really don't need anything other than anatomy/histo/embryo/maybe OPP right off the bat, at least until loan money comes through.

Probably not. I didn't use it until second year.

Your best source for this kind of info is going to be MS2s at your school, though.

At mine, you really don't need anything other than anatomy/histo/embryo/maybe OPP right off the bat, at least until loan money comes through.

Ah okay. In that case, I'll for the time being definitely focus on at least getting Essential Anatomy, Sketchy Medical, and First Aid. I'll ask the MS2 students for further tips.

I barely used sketchy because I used it late and I also actually enjoyed the descriptions I'm CMMRS (hated the tables though). Also the thought of memorizing another thing (albeit, to help with memorizing) in two weeks was sickening to me haha.

I did not look at the ppts. Just memorized the book and did well!

That might be why. I realized after the first week that CMMRS wasn't sticking in my head. Ex. I would read 50 pgs and the next day remember absolutely nothing. I then invested in sketchy and I basically could say that it made the class much much more chill.

That might be why. I realized after the first week that CMMRS wasn't sticking in my head. Ex. I would read 50 pgs and the next day remember absolutely nothing. I then invested in sketchy and I basically could say that it made the class much much more chill.

SketchyMedical or SketchyMicro?

Dear lord, $250 for a year of Sketchy Medical!? That's expensive!

This. You can buy them separately or together. SketchyMicro is better than SketchyPharm but both are great.

I heard the pharm is a bit too much. But then again comlex loves bugs, drugs, and omt?

Not remediating a class is well worth more than that to me. Besides, it's legitimately one of the best resources for boards.

That is true. I don't mind emptying my pocket if it means doing well in class. I'll wait til orientation week, though to get it, to see if I can get any good deals and whatnot.

That is true. I don't mind emptying my pocket if it means doing well in class. I'll wait til orientation week, though to get it, to see if I can get any good deals and whatnot.

I'd recommend waiting to buy any of the resources mentioned until you're familiar with your school's curriculum. I didn't need Pathoma or Sketchy until the end of my first year and its mainly useful in our school's second year and board prep. So buying it at the beginning of the year when you're doing mainly anatomy and physiology is wasteful.

I'd recommend waiting to buy any of the resources mentioned until you're familiar with your school's curriculum. I didn't need Pathoma or Sketchy until the end of my first year and its mainly useful in our school's second year and board prep. So buying it at the beginning of the year when you're doing mainly anatomy and physiology is wasteful.

True. I should still at least get First Aid, though, no?

Depends on your curriculum. I didn't read it any time my first year. But I imagine I'll be using it significantly second year.

Reactions: 1 users
I heard the pharm is a bit too much. But then again comlex loves bugs, drugs, and omt?

The pharm is really comprehensive, which is actually a good thing, you just can't get through it as quickly as you can Sketchy Micro. Also, sometimes it crams an entire drug class into one video which makes it get pretty busy, where micro usually sticks to the 1 bug/video plan. I didn't like the antibiotics videos very much, and I don't like the female narrator as much as the other guy or the wonderful Andrew Berg, but some of the videos were great-- they saved me on autonomics and antineoplastics especially.

And yes-- COMLEX definitely loves bugs, drugs, and OMM. Not that you can ignore the rest of the subjects, but being strong on those three is super important.

I wouldn't bother yet during anatomy. And ask your school's second years if it's worth having first year/first semester or not. At any rate, it's not something you need to rush out and buy before orientation week. None of this stuff is.

Ah okay. I didn't know that you don't really need these books asap on your first semester. It's just that when people have been telling me to focus on UFAP for medical school (yes I know...), I was under the impression that I had to get these books on the very first semester. Good to see that there's a chance that I can wait if need be.

The reason I was focusing more on asking you guys over the second years is that perhaps a lot of them don't visit this site, and their advice may not line up with whatever advice you guys give. Of course this doesn't mean their advice won't be valuable, but it's just that maybe they're not telling me to buy books because they don't know about them or how good they are.

Ah okay. I didn't know that you don't really need these books asap on your first semester. It's just that when people have been telling me to focus on UFAP for medical school (yes I know...), I was under the impression that I had to get these books on the very first semester. Good to see that there's a chance that I can wait if need be.

The reason I was focusing more on asking you guys over the second years is that perhaps a lot of them don't visit this site, and their advice may not line up with whatever advice you guys give. Of course this doesn't mean their advice won't be valuable, but it's just that maybe they're not telling me to buy books because they don't know about them or how good they are.

UFAP is for boards. As a first year, the best way to get ready for boards is to do well in your classes. It's not time for UFAP (or Sketchy/DIT/etc) quite yet.

And I'm sure some, if not most, of your second years will be aware of boards resources-- I'm sending you to them for advice for books right now because we don't know your first semester curriculum, and they do. SDN might end up being a better source of info when you start studying for boards, but we don't know what's best for anatomy week 1 at your school.