how many times before calling it quits?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perseverant 1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, second year applicant here. Things are not looking good. Just wondering how many times you would apply before calling it quits? Have you ever heard of anyone who just wouldn't give up...and finally got in?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I know someone who went four rounds and finally got in. He did PA school during this time also, which really helped him his final round, he said.
My answer to how many times before calling it quits? As many as it takes if it's really what you want.

Well...I agree, if this is really what you want then you should apply as many times as possible.

However, each time you need to assess what went wrong the previous cycle. Perhaps reapplying immediately the next cycle is not the best thing to do. Taking a year off or two will help build your resume and experiences.

I don't know what the specifics are in your case but did you make any significant changes to your application this second time around? Or did you just apply with basically the same credentials?

Bottom line...yes, reapply as much as it takes but make sure you are identifying any weaknesses and strengthening them each time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im going three rounds, with plans to be starting someing the 4th year and no starting to then look.. I mean there is more to life and MANY ways to help people so hey just go live ur life if things to pan out after 3 tries.. or atleast that is what im thinking

i'm gonna have to disagree and say maybe your 10th try is a good time to quit.

Originally posted by Street Philosopher
i'm gonna have to disagree and say maybe your 10th try is a good time to quit.

Haha...well I guess you're right. I think a lot of schools won't let you apply more than 3 times anyways. So it makes it that much more imperative that as a second time reapplicant you identify your weaknesses and improve upon them.

And hey...if this is really what you want to do there is St. Luke's in Belize, Barry University, Ross in the Caribbean, etc.

are you applying to the right schools for your stats, ec, lors.....
dont apply to pen with a 3.3 and 25, decent ecs, and decent lors
dont apply to podunk with 4.0 and 35, awesome ecs and lors

check that, give us some biodata and some schools you applied to..............you've applied within your range, then it might be your interviewing skills.............i agree that often is a fluke, but most of the time its not.........there is something actually negative in your app........

learn about osteopathic medicien and see if that's for you......i'm actually at the undergrad of an osteopathic school and i know alot about it............pm me if you want to learn something about it.......they are known for looking beyond the stats, so if you stats aren't great, that may be somethign to cnosider if you like their philosophy.......dont use it as a backup though, cause then yyou'll be miserable being a DO if you dont want to be a DO..........

look to the islands.............ross and those schools........in the end, you're still a doctor................so if you want it bad enough, there are options..........just a thought

nero