How many times can we retake MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mitalie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am in this weird situation. I have taken MCATs three times and my best score is a 26. Before I was an international student and now I have a greencard. My last mcat was in 2009 and I am planning to take my next mcat in april or early may. My scores from 2009 would have already expired due to three years so is it worth it to take it again. I did my masters in the mean time and finished it in one and half years. What do you all think? I am in a huge dilemma.

Members don't see this ad.

So I am in this weird situation. I have taken MCATs three times and my best score is a 26. Before I was an international student and now I have a greencard. My last mcat was in 2009 and I am planning to take my next mcat in april or early may. My scores from 2009 would have already expired due to three years so is it worth it to take it again. I did my masters in the mean time and finished it in one and half years. What do you all think? I am in a huge dilemma.

You can take it as many times as you want, though there is some debate about how bad it looks when you take it multiple times.

I think it sounds like it's worth a shot given how old some of your scores are. It is definitely not a good thing to keep taking it and getting the same undesirable score. Maybe when you prep this time, as you get closer and are doing practice tests, if you're still at the same spot, then cancel it and just go through with your applications. 26 is probably going to be okay if you're applying Caribbean or DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally I think three times is about the max one should take it, but since things have changed for you (greencard) and you have gotten a masters (this is good), give it one hell of a shot and then apply very early. You should also be able to get into a DO school which is a fantastic option. Good luck :).

How about May 12th? Its when I m planning to take my mcats. Is that late because I really wanna give in everything I have this time around so wanna take good 3 months to prep for it.

How about May 12th? Its when I m planning to take my mcats. Is that late because I really wanna give in everything I have this time around so wanna take good 3 months to prep for it.

May is 4 months from now.

No, not too late.