How many times can you take the MCAT?

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you take it as many times as you want? Bad idea or good? Because with SAT's you can take them as many times as you want and send in your highest score. Is it the same with the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Theoretically, you can take the MCAT as many times as you want. After 3 tries, you have to send a rejection letter to the AAMC to show that you're still trying to get into med school to get another shot. Most schools will look at and consider all of your scores, though a few of them will only look at the highest or most recent scores. A couple schools (Utah and GW are the only ones that spring to mind) will do like the SAT and look at your highest scores from each section if you've taken the test multiple times. Taking the MCAT more than once if you've already gotten a good score or a score that matches up well with your practice scores is probably unwise since you stand a pretty good chance of doing worse, and that looks bad.

Theoretically, you can take the MCAT as many times as you want. After 3 tries, you have to send a rejection letter to the AAMC to show that you're still trying to get into med school to get another shot. Most schools will look at and consider all of your scores, though a few of them will only look at the highest or most recent scores. A couple schools (Utah and GW are the only ones that spring to mind) will do like the SAT and look at your highest scores from each section if you've taken the test multiple times. Taking the MCAT more than once if you've already gotten a good score or a score that matches up well with your practice scores is probably unwise since you stand a pretty good chance of doing worse, and that looks bad.
Thats what I though I just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can only take it three times a year, so there is a short term limit.
Do most people take it three times? For example, most people take the SAT twice.

I'd guess the vast majority of people take it once or twice. The MCAT is definitely something you want to get right the first time if at all possible.

Have you taken it yet?

I strongly suggest you only take the MCAT once. Taking the MCAT once and doing well looks the best - if you take the MCAT once and score a 33 it looks better than if you took the MCAT 3x and scored a 29, 27 and 35. In addition large improvements in scores (5+ points) are not that common. So study hard, practice taking tests and do well the first time around. Good luck!

Do most people take it three times? For example, most people take the SAT twice.
Once you're in a position to take it, your goal is to do well the first time. Don't worry if other people take it more than once. If you do well the first time, you don't have to waste another $210 for a retake and another month of 6-10 hr/day studying. The goal is to maximize results in order to minimize time and financial costs.