MD How many times do you read a topic to memorize it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alaaz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say i have a to study : 3 subjects (otalgia,Ischemic cardiopathy,digestives tumor)
Each one has +100 slides
After i read the first 100 slides (otalgia) i remmeber zero and i reread it again and i still remember nothing at all

I was wondering , so you like read each slide once and go to the next until you reach the end or you study each slide many times (like 3 or 4) and go to the next slide ?

And is reading and rereading can actually make me memorize

Members don't see this ad.

I pretty much never ever look over a single modality again (i.e. Slides, textbook, review resource).

Reading again and again will just hit me with a ceiling. I have to hit the same topic with a different source. The slightly different views each time build on eachother.

Also, "reading" is pretty passive. I didn't get anywhere doing that. I have to take notes.

Reactions: 1 user
Let's say i have a to study : 3 subjects (otalgia,Ischemic cardiopathy,digestives tumor)
Each one has +100 slides
After i read the first 100 slides (otalgia) i remmeber zero and i reread it again and i still remember nothing at all

I was wondering , so you like read each slide once and go to the next until you reach the end or you study each slide many times (like 3 or 4) and go to the next slide ?

Sounds like passive studying (reading) isn't cutting it for you. Maybe try making flashcards, getting in front of a whiteboard, drawing diagrams, etc.?

Members don't see this ad :)
Read? Like a million lol.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reading the slides is passive studying. I rarely ever read slides as a form of studying. I will review the slides right before the exam though to catch any small details that I might have missed.

You need to convert those slides to Anki cards, concept maps, etc. and test yourself on the concepts repeatedly.

Reactions: 4 users
I was curious about this also- during my SMP I realized that I need to review a topic 3 times to memorize it and I normally do so by first watching the lecture while taking notes, then rewriting the slides and my notes, and then making a "summary sheet" and rewatching the lecture again. Depending on the topic, I made quizlets of the slides instead of a summary sheet. This method did work but its wasn't the most time efficient... we would take all 4 exams in a week with a day apart and each class had about 10 topics/powerpoints per exam. Any recommmendations on speeding up this 3x revision while still retaining the material?

Wait, you have to read something more than once to memorize it?

As i've said on other 'how to study' posts, Use images first and for most for anything you can, secondly I often try find a case on the internet of whatever I am studying and follow my slides/notes along with the case. The key with the case study is that it sparks interest/arousal which is the reason we got into medicine in the first place; to treat patients so try make everything practical.

Active learning is the key, basically what everyone above is hinting to.

Reactions: 1 users

... or you study each slide many times (like 3 or 4) and go to the next slide ?

* One slide at a time
* First read - just to see what is there
*Second read - make sure u understood it all.
* Third read is to 'cover' terms and phrases u want to memorize. Note the time -
you will need to know the time lapsed... when u answer the questions.
How:
make a Paper copy and 'white-out the words strings'. See my not perfect screenshot and
ask questions. Snaggy - easy screenshots
When the slide is marked up, either pause or start the testing, Note the time between
the 1st white-out event and the first test. You will use it to establish when to do the 2nd test.
Decide, based on the %-correct ( 80% is fine ), whether or not to do more tests.

Thank you a lot you really helped me