How many times do you swallow in 1 day?

Started by jay47
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jay47

Think Positively!
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay, this is a silly question, but I cannot find the answer anywhere. A friend and I were arguing about it and we couldn't agree.

Yes, there is a source on Wikianswers that says "2000 times per day", but they site no source, and I can't trust it "just because".

Do any dentists out there have a book/resource/personal experience that they know this from?
 
Okay, this is a silly question, but I cannot find the answer anywhere. A friend and I were arguing about it and we couldn't agree.

Yes, there is a source on Wikianswers that says "2000 times per day", but they site no source, and I can't trust it "just because".

Do any dentists out there have a book/resource/personal experience that they know this from?

I am so disappointed in you Jay for not knowing this!
 
Okay, this is a silly question, but I cannot find the answer anywhere. A friend and I were arguing about it and we couldn't agree.

Yes, there is a source on Wikianswers that says "2000 times per day", but they site no source, and I can't trust it "just because".

Do any dentists out there have a book/resource/personal experience that they know this from?

Wikipedia is the most reliable source I have ever come across. I use it daily in my dental studies.

Maybe this article will contain the information you seek:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6723485

or in cows:
http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract;jsessionid=E8A3CE154B24409D33E6EDF4112F0FA5.tomcat1?fromPage=online&aid=7365660

I think I just hit the jackpot with this baby:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0003996995000049

I bookmarked that last one and will look at the article when I am logged onto the campus network and maybe it will say the averages per day

From the abstracts, it seems that swallowing rate is dependent on salivary flow rate.

I want everyone to take note of my research skillz. That is IUSD PBL skills at work.
 
Wow, never mind guys. I found the answer randomly at the very bottom on one of my review slides. I'll have to go with what this says on the test; I trust they got it from a reputable source.

"The adult swallows almost 600 times per day"

Thanks Doc smile for the searches; I couldn't find anything when I was searching earlier myself, but your help is appreciated.