how many years do u need?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saied

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
do i need to do 4 years of college before i can enter dental school. i always thought u could join right before u became a senior in college. someone else said that u need a certain amount of credits to enter dental school.
sorry if this is a nooby question or it has been answered before. i want to start out on a good track cause i screwed up my high school.

also my dads best friend is a dentist. should i start shadowing him this summer?
does doing good in MCAT make dental schools consider u more. im thinking of taking MCAT at the end of my sophmore year.
im a senior in highschool so please help me out. thanks so much guys

Members don't see this ad.

Saied,

In general you can apply to dental schools right after you finished all the prerequisites; that means usually by your junior. But if you want to be competitive and ensure your acceptance I would suggest finish your degree first because that will increase your chance dramatically. Wish you success.;)

do i need to do 4 years of college before i can enter dental school. i always thought u could join right before u became a senior in college. someone else said that u need a certain amount of credits to enter dental school.
sorry if this is a nooby question or it has been answered before. i want to start out on a good track cause i screwed up my high school.

also my dads best friend is a dentist. should i start shadowing him this summer?
does doing good in MCAT make dental schools consider u more. im thinking of taking MCAT at the end of my sophmore year.

Majority of the peeps in dental schools have received a bachelor's or higher and it's getting more competitive so I think most schools are making it a requirement... MCAT scores are for medicine so they don't look at that score.

Members don't see this ad :)
okay thanks. how can i find out these pre required courses for every college.

and no one recomonds i should start shadowing right now?

saied, you're full of nooby questions and sorry doesn't cut it. write a heartfelt personal apology to all SDN members. for real though, go read the websites for some dental schools, all the requirements are right there. and then do a search on here for answers you can't find.
and yes, shadow if you want to. why wouldn't you??

WOW, first don't be lazy "you" is spelled "you" not "u"
Second first word in MCAT is Medical, with a bit of logic you would notice a small difference from the word Dental.
Then google dental schools, once you have researched a bit, finally come back and ask a decent question. Also search forum before posting.
Thanks

GOOD LUCK

Most dental schools share some of the prerequisite courses like general chem and ochem. But, they may differ from each other by the number of credits and whether they require specific labs and upper division courses. So, I suggest you to think ahead about the dental schools you really want to go and take your time searching about their own specific admission process that includes which courses are required and recommended by them. Try to choose a major that covers these courses in its coursework as best as it can. For example biochemistry and biology are just perfect obvious majors. But, again i have seen ppl with degrees in economy and engineerings who ended up in dental schools :)

okay thanks. how can i find out these pre required courses for every college.

and no one recomonds i should start shadowing right now?

WOW, first don't be lazy "you" is spelled "you" not "u"
Second first word in MCAT is Medical, with a bit of logic you would notice a small difference from the word Dental.
Then google dental schools, once you have researched a bit, finally come back and ask a decent question. Also search forum before posting.
Thanks

GOOD LUCK

It's funny when people use horrible grammar to give crap to people for using horrible grammar.

You're a senior in high school, so don't worry too much about the dental school just yet. Unless you're acing ALL your classes and score above 22 across the board on the DAT (repeat, DAT, not MCAT), don't bother with applying without a degree. Hell, 15% of my class had a Master's degree. And seeing your un-proactive approach in seeking out information, you may want to shift gear when/if you still decide to apply to dental school. It will only be harder to get into dental school as a lot of highly qualified professionals are switching between fields.

thanks guys. next time i'll make sure i'll ask a decent question. problem is I dont know any dental schools except temple University.

thanks guys.

thanks guys. next time i'll make sure i'll ask a decent question. problem is I dont know any dental schools except temple University.

thanks guys.

the 5 seconds that it takes to google "dental school" would probably be much more efficient than posting questions like that on this forum. Is there not sticky at the very top of the threads that has this kind of information for first time applicants, anyway?

the 5 seconds that it takes to google "dental school" would probably be much more efficient than posting questions like that on this forum. Is there not sticky at the very top of the threads that has this kind of information for first time applicants, anyway?

Or one can just look at the signatures below many member's names. Seems like a much easier proposition than taking the DAT, dealing with AADSAS, and going on interviews.