How matching works

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uhmocksuhsillen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to rank my list based on where I want to go...but I'm curious about how the process works in the event I fall down my list.

Does a guaranteed match involve one program ranking you to match? So if you get passed over by your first 12 programs ranked, but number 13 has you at the top of their list, you're guaranteed to match?

Members don't see this ad.

I plan to rank my list based on where I want to go...but I'm curious about how the process works in the event I fall down my list.

Does a guaranteed match involve one program ranking you to match? So if you get passed over by your first 12 programs ranked, but number 13 has you at the top of their list, you're guaranteed to match?

I don't think you should listen to programs telling you that you are guaranteed to match, because historical experience has shown this is not reliable.

Yes, if number 13 has you ranked number one, and the previous 12 programs filled all of their slots with candidates the preferred over you, you would match at your number 13.

Do not let this affect your ranking in the slightest, there is just no good reason.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, as stated above, if your top 12 filled their spots, your number 13 becomes your number 1. The algorithm looks at your preference first, then looks at the highest program on your list to see if you were ranked high enough. If not, your next program becomes your number 1 and so on. Programs don’t know how high they are on your list. In other words, it’s not like your number 13 will pass you up because other people ranked it higher and by the time they get to you, there are no spots left. That’s why it’s important to create the list based on your preferences only.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
From the NRMP:

The tl;dr is that you will match at the highest program on your list that wants you too. Never ever ever every rank programs in anything other than your true preference.

Reactions: 4 users

Another favorite, fun, quirky video on the process (applicants are the Young Women of the village). Our match algorithm is based on the work of Gale & Shapley, as mentioned in the video--Shapley and another colleague went on to win a Nobel in Economics for their work on this stable question.

PlasticBag described the algorhythum about as succinctly as possible. If your #1 fills before they reach your name, your #2 becomes your #1 and #3 becomes #2....
There is no gaming this at all and it favors the applicants as much as possible. In other words, I can't suck you into my program no matter how much I like you if you want to be somewhere else and that somewhere else reaches you on their list. I get that this feels completely out of your control and flying all over the country adds to the stress of a computer telling you and your significant other where you will live for the next 4 years, but this system is about as good as it gets for this process. Rank us in the order you like us and all will be well, or at least the best that your educational achievements can afford to get you.
Best of luck every one.

Reactions: 4 users
Do you guys think programs alter their rank list if you send them a love letter / letter of intent? If I really like a program and I tell them I'm ranking them "#1", will they move me up? What if I told them I'm ranking them "top 3" but without a mention of exact #, would that help or hurt me? I really love all the programs in my top 3 and don't want to piss any of them off.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Do you guys think programs alter their rank list if you send them a love letter / letter of intent? If I really like a program and I tell them I'm ranking them "#1", will they move me up? What if I told them I'm ranking them "top 3" but without a mention of exact #, would that help or hurt me? I really love all the programs in my top 3 and don't want to piss any of them off.

If you read old threads on this, PDs say they put almost no stock in emails like this so it's unlikely to change much of anything. I personally sent an email to my #1 once I was sure they were #1, but no other emails because those seemed useless to me and I can't imagine a PD would give two hoots about me "ranking them highly."

I'm ranking you highly translates to "you are my second favorite program", which isn't something you want to say. Such communication makes no difference to programs because of the way the match works. Putting a stronger applicant ahead of your name even though there is very little chance of they coming doesn't change a thing when the stronger applicant goes somewhere else. If a PD raises applicants that he/she thinks are likely to come, then that only artificially makes their match numbers look better, but could cost them some better matches. If a PD's ego is stroked by going less far down a list, they probably should consider a second analysis or get out of this business.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm ranking you highly translates to "you are my second favorite program", which isn't something you want to say. Such communication makes no difference to programs because of the way the match works. Putting a stronger applicant ahead of your name even though there is very little chance of they coming doesn't change a thing when the stronger applicant goes somewhere else. If a PD raises applicants that he/she thinks are likely to come, then that only artificially makes their match numbers look better, but could cost them some better matches. If a PD's ego is stroked by going less far down a list, they probably should consider a second analysis or get out of this business.

Great point. I have heard at several programs some variation of "we were proud to only go X amount down our match list" or "we got 5 out of 6 people that we ranked to match." Large part of what's been making me worry about having to send these letters of interest.

I'm on our program's selection committee. At least at our program, e-mails like these have absolutely zero bearing on anything. Since I attend half of our pre-interview dinners, quite frankly I find them a bit annoying since it's more work for me, but I don't fault the applicants for sending them since they mean well. But typically we score applicants as a committee before any e-mails are sent, so it doesn't matter. I have yet to hear about an applicant that sent such a moving "intent" or "thank you" e-mail that it actually had an impact on their final scoring/ranking.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm on our program's selection committee. At least at our program, e-mails like these have absolutely zero bearing on anything. Since I attend half of our pre-interview dinners, quite frankly I find them a bit annoying since it's more work for me, but I don't fault the applicants for sending them since they mean well. But typically we score applicants as a committee before any e-mails are sent, so it doesn't matter. I have yet to hear about an applicant that sent such a moving "intent" or "thank you" e-mail that it actually had an impact on their final scoring/ranking.

@NickNaylor, do you mind if I ask (because I'm freaking out a bit about this whole process), for your institution - if an applicant has a score that's still pending, would you score them anyway and have a temporary rank order number for them, or is it just out with the bathwater if they don't have it all in by January 30th?