• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

I'm No Superman

Crushin' scones
5+ Year Member
May 7, 2011
Ann Arbor
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
Who gives a ****. It would be in your best interest to take it regardless.

You didn't really answer her question, and she already said that she's taking it... So I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

No, there's not as much math in AP chem than AP physics. If you're not terrible at math and know how to use a calculator than you should be golden.

About the Ads

Lunasly

5+ Year Member
May 17, 2010
Canada
Status (Visible)
You didn't really answer her question, and she already said that she's taking it... So I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

No, there's not as much math in AP chem than AP physics. If you're not terrible at math and know how to use a calculator than you should be golden.

The point I am trying to make it that: Even if it is "math-y," are they going to drop it? Obviously not. So who cares.

AntiHouseMD

May 26, 2011
Massachusetts
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hi. For AP Chemistry, you should know basic quick math, such as quickly multiplying, dividing, adding, subtracting, etc. Basically, you can pick one answer out of five without using a calculator by substitution and elimination. The exam doesn't allow calculators on the multiple choice, but you usually don't get hard math questions on that. The hard math involves a calculator, so you should be all set.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I'm going to guess AP chem should be similar to gen chem 1&2, in which case it should be comfortable with algebra. I think the first half of the semester should be relatively easy in terms of math as it uses few real quantitative formulas or equations, however the second half will be full of a lot of acid base equations and require a lot of algebra.
Generally for the second half it isn't the math that is difficult but rather setting up the equation based on the information given. So knowing that HCL has a particular PH and that NAOH has one and based on the concentration and amount how much will be required to neutralize it etc.
Generally if you're good with algebra you should be fine.

Seahawk

Nothing to do here
5+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Chemistry really isn't very "mathy" until you get into more advanced chemistry. (Quantitative analysis, physical chem, etc..) Gen chem II did have a lot of math...but even when it's mathy, the math isn't difficult, the concept is what the difficult part of the math would be. No integrals or derivatives, for example.

macfan101

Removed
May 8, 2012
Status (Visible)
Its simple calculations, not even math. Its literally adding and subtracting. Its nothing close to Ap physics. Only major difference is that you have to memorize the formulas where on ap physics, they give you basically every formula you would ever need to use. Plus, its your senior year, work hard until half the year, then no colleges care about how you did on Ap exams and remainder of the year as college decisions comes out before those grades are released.

howlovely

May 9, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
AP Chem was pretty easy math-wise. The only real math I had to do was stoichiometry, which is really just a big word for balancing fractions.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.