How much (and often) do you get break?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jae9970

Freshman Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
And I'm talking about breaks in all kinds of scales.

Daily, how many hours of free time do you usually get? (i know it'll be different when exams are near)

Yearly, how much break do you get? Winter breaks and spring breaks, you get, right? One week for spring break, and about 2-3weeks for winter break?

What about summer break? Do you still get 3 - 4 months of break between, say, MS1 and MS2?

Members don't see this ad.

At UAB, we got about a 3 week winter break, and a 1 week spring break (this is 1st year, BTW). We get about 3 months in the summer between 1st and 2nd year. Between 2nd and 3rd year I think it's about 2 months, I didn't bother to look that back up though. between 3rd and 4th year it's 2 days.

Class schedule tends to be lecture 8-12, with 10 minute break every hour. 1 hour for lunch, then if there's lab involved with a current class, usually there's a 2 hour lab at 1. We also have our clinical class one day per week 3-5. Occasionally there's a small group type thing in the afternoon, but only certain blocks and usually less than 1 per week, these usually take 2 hours. The majority of lectures are not mandatory, so you can study out of class if you like.

I'm wondering the exact same thing...i'm assuming this varies depending on the school but i heard that you get a lot of time off as a 4th year and have a very flexible schedule-how does this work exactly?

Members don't see this ad :)
The schedule above basically describes my day.

We usually get just over a week for winter break (11 days total), 1 week for spring break, 3 days for Thanksgiving, there are 10 weeks between MSI and II, you get 6 weeks between MSII and III (most people study for the USMLE for 4 weeks, take Step I, and take a 2 week vacation). There is no break between MSIII and MSIV.

major holidays u get off (christmas, thanksgiving, etc.)

most others you don't (no MLK, st patty's, etc)

year 1-2 - a long break, ppl research or travel
year 2-3 - several wks for usmle 1
year 3-4 - a week, maybe

you get about eight weeks of break year four to use at your will. rotations 4th year are more chill, less hours

year 1 - about 2 lectures/day. some other BS lectures (the feeling side of medicine, don't molest ur patients, etc.) 8-12 daily. 1-5 practice on pts, group discussions, etc on some days.
time off is much less than college, but doable
year 2 - four actual medical lectures daily 8-12. 3 days/wk is clinical practice on pts, group discussions, grand rounds etc. usually 1-4, sometimes 1-7. morning lectures are usually not mandatory. rarely an evening session (1/month)

don't know about years 3 and 4 yet