How much calculus is involved in pharmacy school?

Started by Starshipp
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Starshipp

Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, I see that calculus is a prerequisite for basically allllll pharmacy schools. I went to some interviews and the professors actually told me that calculus isn't really used in pharmacy school at all. They told me that mainly algebra and basic math is needed. Just wanted to get some of your input, especially from current pharm students. Thanks!!
 
Hey guys, I see that calculus is a prerequisite for basically allllll pharmacy schools. I went to some interviews and the professors actually told me that calculus isn't really used in pharmacy school at all. They told me that mainly algebra and basic math is needed. Just wanted to get some of your input, especially from current pharm students. Thanks!!

Not much, if at all. It is a weeder course.
 
You pretty much are never going to use MOST of what you learn in calculus. I am trying to remember ever integrating or differentiation in kinetics. Maybe for some of the explanations on how the formulas came to be, but not in their use. Certainly not enough to have to worry about it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
what about organic chemistry?
There will definitely be applications of organic, especially in medicinal chem/ pharmaceutical biochem. It will also play a role in drug delivery (understanding target molecules and such).
 
Correction, theres some learning about calculus, maybe some renal or biliary calculi
 
Its mind boggling that they even include calculus. I can't imagine any situations in which a pharmacist would need to use calculus for his job. I'm a chemistry student and the only classes in which calculus came in useful are quantum mechanics related classes.