How much can a good Step 2 help a poor Step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ipodtouch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I performed very poorly on the Step 1, but was able to improve on the Step 2

I was wondering how much the step 2 helps me at all. I'm applying to neurology and was wondering if I should even attempt to apply to competitive programs, or just not waste my time (especially if I consider doing Aways).

I am a US MD Senior with no red flags.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes it'll help you, apply away

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Yes, your improvement on CK will certainly help you. Will you be considered at competitive programs? No one can answer that question. While 212 on Step 1 isn't ideal, it's likely not a deal breaker even at some of the most competitive programs since you scored well on CK . You will get screened out of some programs, but not all. The problem is there's really no way for you to know which ones that will be. Step 1 is only one part of your application. How are your grades, letters, etc?

And you're not wasting time by applying to more programs, you're only wasting money. You just have to decide whether the possibility of matching at those programs is worth a couple extra hundreds of dollars. It certainly would be to me, but you have to make that decision for yourself.

Reactions: 1 user