How much can I rely on the AAMC practice tests when I am taking them for the second time.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pre-spring

Reaction score
Hello, so I am planning to write the MCAT for the second time, and I have just taken the AAMC practice test and got 520+, but I'm not sure how inflated the score is since I've already taken the tests once before while preparing the first time. I was getting around 512 the first time I took them. So can I rely on this score to be predictive of my actual MCAT score or should I assume it to be inflated? Its been about 9-10 months since the last time I took the practice test.

Members don't see this ad.

I think scores are always going to be slightly higher when you've seen the material before, but so long as you feel you understand the rationale, then it's a good sign.

Novel prep material will almost always be a better indicator of test-day success. Take a couple you haven't seen before and see if that matches your current success. If it does, you're in a good position. And if it doesn't? Don't feel too bad, because even a 515 puts you in the 96th percentile.

I think scores are always going to be slightly higher when you've seen the material before, but so long as you feel you understand the rationale, then it's a good sign.

Novel prep material will almost always be a better indicator of test-day success. Take a couple you haven't seen before and see if that matches your current success. If it does, you're in a good position. And if it doesn't? Don't feel too bad, because even a 515 puts you in the 96th percentile.
Okay yeah, also I did all the AAMC practice tests last time and most of the other AAMC material, so what do you suggest I do to get a sense of how much I'm getting. I can take third party FL's, but I heard they're not really an indicator of your actual test scores.