How much chance do I have?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ksj045

Reaction score
Hello, I am a pre-pharmacy student who is gruadting and applying this summer.
I am just wondering how much chance do I have.
My major concerns are low GPAs and having no research and intership experience.

Major- biochem

GPA: *I attended 3 schools
UCSD (2 years) 3.1 - voluntarily left the school after sophmore
Local CC (1.5years) 3.8
(transferred to Junior)UT Austin (2 years) - currently 3.1, 3.2 is expected at the end of this semester.

EC
no research, no internship at all
3 month epxerience of Pharmacy technician (still in progress)
was vice president of 2 student organizations at UCSD
was president of a student organization at Local CC
am current vice president of a student organzation at UT Austin
500+ hr volunteer/community service through church

PCAT - Taking next month. Based on practice tests results, 75-85 percentile is expected. (I know that I can't never tell my score until I actually get it. Please just assume.)

Members don't see this ad.

What is your overall science GPA? If you get your expected PCAT scores you should be fine based on Texas PharmD programs.

Major- biochem

Local CC (1.5years) 3.8
(transferred to Junior)UT Austin (2 years) - currently 3.1, 3.2 is expected at the end of this semester.

EC

PCAT - Taking next month. Based on practice tests results, 75-85 percentile is expected. (I know that I can't never tell my score until I actually get it. Please just assume.)
I would seek a consultation from your doctor and financial aid advisor if you’re really that curious. Specifically you’d want to ask your doctor if he thinks you have a pulse and your financial aid advisor if you qualify to take out $200k+ in loans. Check those two boxes and you can rest assured you will be guaranteed admission to pharmacy school.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What is your overall science GPA? If you get your expected PCAT scores you should be fine based on Texas PharmD programs.
My overall science GPA is also pretty much same as cumulative GPA.

Are you asking how much chance you have getting into a pharmacy school or how much chance you have getting a job after graduating pharmacy school?

Chance getting into pharmacy school: very high especially if you choose a high tuition newer school.

Chance getting a full time job as a pharmacist after you graduate: extremely low. Even now people are moving to middle of no where places for only per diem positions. It's only going to get worse.

Chance making more than $70,000 salary as a pharmacist: Almost zero. Wages have already dropped 10-15% in just this past year and hours cut.

Reactions: 1 users
If you want to live in costal California or urban/suburban Texas then don’t do pharmacy. Otherwise, prepare to settle down in the middle of nowhere for the rest of your life so that you can have a job to pay off your loans.

Reactions: 1 user

Major- biochem

Local CC (1.5years) 3.8

EC

I think your missing the actual point here. Your chances are high that you will be accepted somewhere. Very high. The reason? young people like you ( i assume your younger) are not going to pharmacy school anymore (thank god) because they want their lives to turn out better than what pharmacy can provide. they are becoming aware of the problem first hand and taking action. So in turn, the schools are desperate to fill their seats, however they will NEVER admit this. And the government seems to not care about loaning you 200K minimum to attend because they plan to DROWN you in debt with interest rates of 6--->9% unsubsidized loans. I wish i had positive things to tell you, but years of wisdom and experience are what you are getting from me. The honest truth is this profession has died. By the time YOU graduate, it will only be much worse. To the point where you may just give up without EVER working in a pharmacy. I know plenty of people right now from class 2016---2018 who are STILL looking for something to do. Most have given up and are doing what they can to survive. I really just want tp help you make a safe, informed decision. PM me if you want to talk about the current state of pharmacy and what to expect in the future. be well.

Reactions: 1 user