How much chance do I have?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HOF2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
For the 2013 H/O fellowship, can you tell me how much hope do I have ? If I carry some hope, where and how many programs should I apply? Thanks a lot.

FMG
Really "old" guy
1 yr post residency training
Moderate USMLE
Moderate IM board 2012
Tons of papers (NIH / FDA research)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
For the 2013 H/O fellowship, can you tell me how much hope do I have ? If I carry some hope, where and how many programs should I apply? Thanks a lot.

FMG
Really "old" guy
Moderate USMLE
Moderate IM board 2012

There's no reason not to apply. Apply broadly and it's probably not worth sending apps to the biggest names unless you have some sort of connection there. Where has your residency sent people in the past? Where have people from your school gone in the past? Where would you like to live (don't answer SoCal...just forget about that)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

FMG
Really "old" guy
Moderate USMLE
Moderate IM board 2012

With tons of research you may land in big program, as they like variety in program (old fellow, lot of research can be a plus point there) ur chances are 100% if apply 100 prog

Whoa, 100% with 100 programs? I am heating up. Will definitely try it.

Your chances are never 100%. But that doesn't mean they won't get close to that if you apply widely.

Gutonc:

I nearly went through the thread of 2011-2012. I categorized you as ++++ in your credentials. I belong to +.

I really like to do h/o. But some what disappointed with my profiles. I may stand in the line with Cherry23, Factor II, Melanima1 and Onco2b etc. I did not finish the whole thread, so did not know if they got it.

It was hard.

It is harder this year. I feel the pain.

I definitely don't think you need to apply to 100 programs, but the FMG is a factor I don't know about. Pick programs that represent a broad range of tiers and be flexible about location, and you should be fine. If your NIH background was at NCI or NHLBI, that is a big plus and would be certain to get some letters from there.

I matched. Keep your options broad and you will make it. Good luck.