How much Chemistry is in Pharmacology?

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FantasyVesperia

Always pushing forward...
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I want to become a Veterinary Pharmacologist and telling by the name, I know this involves Chemistry. I'm in Honors Chemistry now, and I'm doing pretty good. I really want to go in this field, but first I need to know how much Chemistry is needed for this study.

How much Chemistry do I need to pursue a career in pharmacology? Thanks
 
A good amount of Chemistry is involved Pharmacology. Things like chemical half-life and names/notations will be used heavily. As far as how many college courses you need to take I would check core requirements with whatever program you plan to attend. One thing I don't know is how different a Vet Pharm is from a standard PharmD. Do you specialize before or after Pharmacy school?
 
A good amount of Chemistry is involved Pharmacology. Things like chemical half-life and names/notations will be used heavily. As far as how many college courses you need to take I would check core requirements with whatever program you plan to attend. One thing I don't know is how different a Vet Pharm is from a standard PharmD. Do you specialize before or after Pharmacy school?

I think you have to go to Vet school receive a DVM and complete a residency in pharmacology I believe.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay. If that is the case, the only Chem courses you'll take in college are the pre-reqs for Vet School or those pertaining to your major.
 
No problem. At my school Calculus 1&2/Differential Equations is recommended for a Chemistry minor or major, but to work the problems in basic Chem courses in college, College Algebra will suffice.
 
No problem. At my school Calculus 1&2/Differential Equations is recommended for a Chemistry minor or major, but to work the problems in basic Chem courses in college, College Algebra will suffice.

Oh okay thanks. Thanks for clearing things up.