how much could you make as locums?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RadOnc2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a year out of residency in a successful practice I like, and making more money than any single guy like myself could really expect to need. I don't really intend to give that up anytime soon BUT

Anyone have any idea what you could make as a locums working, say, 4 months out of the year? I could go back to living in a studio like in residency and spend the rest of the time just traveling the world? Would doing that for a few years ruin my prospects of anyone taking me seriously if I wanted to go back to full time (in community practice; I NEVER plan to do academics)?

I didn't really go into Rad Onc for the money (I was more more interested in the lifestyle and I also really do enjoy the work/treatment planning/patient interactions), so anyone know if it would be feasible to have a REALLY good lifestyle like the one I described? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a year out of residency in a successful practice I like, and making more money than any single guy like myself could really expect to need. I don't really intend to give that up anytime soon BUT

Anyone have any idea what you could make as a locums working, say, 4 months out of the year? I could go back to living in a studio like in residency and spend the rest of the time just traveling the world? Would doing that for a few years ruin my prospects of anyone taking me seriously if I wanted to go back to full time (in community practice; I NEVER plan to do academics)?

I didn't really go into Rad Onc for the money (I was more more interested in the lifestyle and I also really do enjoy the work/treatment planning/patient interactions), so anyone know if it would be feasible to have a REALLY good lifestyle like the one I described? :laugh:

I dont presently locums, but get contacted by locums companies about once a month and ask pay rates, they seem to offer 1200-1500 a day + travel/housing, which is the same rate/actually slightly less than I was paid as a resident 15 years ago. (and one of the reasons I have concerns about the job market, as this is the canary in the coal mine) edit: Interestingly, locums rates seem lower than daily equivalent of full time salaries which is unusual in most fields and also tells you about the job market and where we are headed. Our hospital pays more for locums physicists.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I think it would be harder to transition back to FT practice unless you do locums a few months a year as an extended "vacation" from your primary practice.

The locums rates I'm aware of in our neck of the woods is $1200-1500/day+ incidentals. You might get more than that if you are going somewhere where they really need you.

I've seen $1k/day as a pure linac babysitter for CMS physician supervision requirements where you just see OTVs and check image guidance, no new patient consults or follow ups

Members don't see this ad :)
$1,200-1,500/day + travel and lodging reimbursement. Median in my area is probably $1,200 (big city). Smaller cities appear to pay more. Conservatively, you'd probably make $100k working just 4 months. Definitely doable. Personally, I would be more comfortable working 6 months and then traveling the rest of the time. But hey, if you run out of money, you can just pick up some more shifts. There appears to be a lot of opportunities, especially if you are willing to travel. I know there was an opportunity in Guam last spring - you could have your flight paid for, then go live on the beach after your assignment is over...

I’ll usually ask them for 3-4K a day. They never return my calls but who cares, 1.2-1.3k is so ridiculously cheap

Reactions: 2 users
$1,200-1,500/day + travel and lodging reimbursement. Median in my area is probably $1,200 (big city). Smaller cities appear to pay more. Conservatively, you'd probably make $100k working just 4 months. Definitely doable. Personally, I would be more comfortable working 6 months and then traveling the rest of the time. But hey, if you run out of money, you can just pick up some more shifts. There appears to be a lot of opportunities, especially if you are willing to travel. I know there was an opportunity in Guam last spring - you could have your flight paid for, then go live on the beach after your assignment is over...
And wait for Kim to nuke you... :)

$1500-$2000 is what I've seen. We pay $1500/day.

the locums company probably charge 3K,but the physician is probably getting less than half of that, but they provide malpractice /credentialing/travel. I locumsed as a resident several times, and it does seem that locums salaries were a bit higher (for a resident) 10 years ago.