You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
How much do looks matter?
Started by exPCM
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I would think you'd want to look as hideous as possible to get into derm.
that way, when a patient comes to the clinic with half their face falling off from acne or lyme disease or whatever, you can just say "well, you look like hell, but at least you're not as ugly as me"
this leaves the patient with a new sense of self worth that no antibiotic could give. this sort of efficiency will save the residency money in the long run, thus affirming their decision to recruit you.
that way, when a patient comes to the clinic with half their face falling off from acne or lyme disease or whatever, you can just say "well, you look like hell, but at least you're not as ugly as me"
this leaves the patient with a new sense of self worth that no antibiotic could give. this sort of efficiency will save the residency money in the long run, thus affirming their decision to recruit you.
I have been debating this with a colleague.
It seems that there is at least a perception that good looks are a bigger factor in selection to dermatology residency than in other fields. Is this a myth or a reality?
Myth.
Being good looking (or even ridiculously good looking) can only help but I highly doubt it's given more weight by derm pd's
after all, I am admittedly not a beauty queen and still got in 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Your theory is probably right. That is why, on my ERAS, I photoshopped my skin spray-tan orange and sprinkled on a generous dosing of atypical nevi. Have worked wonder so far.
I would think you'd want to look as hideous as possible to get into derm.
that way, when a patient comes to the clinic with half their face falling off from acne or lyme disease or whatever, you can just say "well, you look like hell, but at least you're not as ugly as me"
this leaves the patient with a new sense of self worth that no antibiotic could give. this sort of efficiency will save the residency money in the long run, thus affirming their decision to recruit you.
I read somewhere in general it helps like 8-10% in getting a job....and this especially holds true if you are hot chica!!
Not sure for derm residency though....
I know you better have clear skin!! 👍
Not sure for derm residency though....
I know you better have clear skin!! 👍
Definitely, but its not unique to just derm.
In every facet of life, being love, career, or asking a stranger for the time, better looks = more success.
The reason there are a disproportionately high number of sexy female dermatology residents is likely because a disproportionately high number of sexy female medical students apply to it, seeing as how its the holy grail of medicine and pays beautifully, no pun intended.
On the opposite side of the spectrum are things like pathology, where the lack of sexy females isn't because looks don't help, but because very few sexy females apply for it. Radiology used to be like this until it became bank, and now the best looking department at many schools is the rads department.
I can tell ya, as a male resident roaming the hospital, I see tons of medical students doing "away" rotations here. The ones doing plastics, rads, uro, derm etc could basically just quit and become lingerie models. The others are mostly regular looking folk.
In every facet of life, being love, career, or asking a stranger for the time, better looks = more success.
The reason there are a disproportionately high number of sexy female dermatology residents is likely because a disproportionately high number of sexy female medical students apply to it, seeing as how its the holy grail of medicine and pays beautifully, no pun intended.
On the opposite side of the spectrum are things like pathology, where the lack of sexy females isn't because looks don't help, but because very few sexy females apply for it. Radiology used to be like this until it became bank, and now the best looking department at many schools is the rads department.
I can tell ya, as a male resident roaming the hospital, I see tons of medical students doing "away" rotations here. The ones doing plastics, rads, uro, derm etc could basically just quit and become lingerie models. The others are mostly regular looking folk.
I have been debating this with a colleague.
It seems that there is at least a perception that good looks are a bigger factor in selection to dermatology residency than in other fields. Is this a myth or a reality?
Myth. I Matched. 🙂
I'm pretty hot and I didn't match 😛
Myth is now busted. 😉
This is your year though Kralwok.
hotness always helps in addition to an outstanding application (high step 1, AOA, lots of pubs, good LORs, good personality). hot ones seem to be less socially awkward, which also helps.
hot + outstanding application vs ugly + outstanding application
= hot applicant wins
obviously,
hot + crappy application vs ugly + outstanding application
= ugly applicant > hot applicant (but sometimes even the hot one will get lucky in this situation)
but in terms of getting in, i think as long as your application is truly outstanding...you can be average and still get in.
i think nowadays there are just a lot of hot people with good stats in which case the ugly ones suffer
hot + outstanding application vs ugly + outstanding application
= hot applicant wins
obviously,
hot + crappy application vs ugly + outstanding application
= ugly applicant > hot applicant (but sometimes even the hot one will get lucky in this situation)
but in terms of getting in, i think as long as your application is truly outstanding...you can be average and still get in.
i think nowadays there are just a lot of hot people with good stats in which case the ugly ones suffer
is that what you look like goodies? haha. or are you one of the ugly ones?
is that what you look like goodies? haha. or are you one of the ugly ones?
C'mon now, if goodies looked like that, she could make twice as much working half as hard as a Victoria's Secret model.
See: Alessandra Ambrosio
Apologies to goodies if you're a guy 😛 (Avatars can be confusing, I can assure you I am female and I am NOT Bruce Bowen 🙂 )
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
C'mon now, if goodies looked like that, she could make twice as much working half as hard as a Victoria's Secret model.
See: Alessandra Ambrosio
Apologies to goodies if you're a guy 😛 (Avatars can be confusing, I can assure you I am female and I am NOT Bruce Bowen 🙂 )
i'm female!

Ya ur avatar is gorgeous.
ok i have a question.... what if you actually have some visible acne breakouts (not just scars) - would that put someone at a setback in the application process?
Well, I suppose when they ask why you want to be a dermatologist you can just point to your face.
I had some acne throughout med school. When I decided to apply for derm, I went to the dermatologist and got it treated. By the time I had my first interview, my skin was clear.
That said, I'm pretty convinced that it doesn't really matter. But it made me feel better that it was a non-issue for me.
That said, I'm pretty convinced that it doesn't really matter. But it made me feel better that it was a non-issue for me.
ok i have a question.... what if you actually have some visible acne breakouts (not just scars) - would that put someone at a setback in the application process?
I had pretty bad skin growing up and have some residual ice pick scars. I also had a few (likely stress related) breakouts during the interview season despite treatment with Duac, Aczone and PO minocycline.
I didn't stop me from matching at my No. 1.
I suggest that if an acne breakout bugs your self esteem to the point where it might negatively impact your interview performance, consider getting some concealer - even if your a guy. By and large though, most of the people you run into in dermatology are sensible people and won't be overly critical of a candidate with acne. Plus, most have seen patients who just don't respond/relapse with a number of treatments, including Accutane.
Good luck!
<<< hot but with some acne. in derm i dont think a lil bit of acne would be detrimental because that was my partly my reason for wanting to do it.
i always thought that if i had tons of acne though i may be looked at like an extremely overweight person who is a dietician/nutritionist.. u dont trust them if they cant help themselves right? either way, get treated 🙂
i always thought that if i had tons of acne though i may be looked at like an extremely overweight person who is a dietician/nutritionist.. u dont trust them if they cant help themselves right? either way, get treated 🙂
As unfortunate as it may be, I do believe looks plays a role in selecting an applicant, however, the degree of importance undoubtedly varies from program to program. Take a look at a programs residents and you will have your answer..
The ones doing plastics, rads, uro, derm etc could basically just quit and become lingerie models.
Dude, either you gotta get out of the hospital more or you have to upgrade from the Sears catalog. 😀
I would think you'd want to look as hideous as possible to get into derm.
that way, when a patient comes to the clinic with half their face falling off from acne or lyme disease or whatever, you can just say "well, you look like hell, but at least you're not as ugly as me"
this leaves the patient with a new sense of self worth that no antibiotic could give. this sort of efficiency will save the residency money in the long run, thus affirming their decision to recruit you.
I hope you do some stand up at an AAD post bar crawl. 🙂
Similar threads
- Replies
- 16
- Views
- 6K
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 5K
D
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 3K
