How much do pharm tech make per hour?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goheel

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm planning to get a job as a pharm tech after I got in pharm school. Does anybody know how much do pharm tech make per hour? I'm currently volunteer at a hospital, and the pharmacist there told me that I'm basically doing the same job as a pharm tech. Luckily for me, you don't have to take the pharm tech certification test in North Carolina to be a pharm tech.

Members don't see this ad.

I think they made like 10 bucks an hour in most places

$11-$14/hour in AZ. They are required to be PTCB certified here.

Members don't see this ad :)
$14/hr to start in my store and on up to $20 or more for those who had been there a long time, like 5+ years. Keep in mind that San Francisco has one of the highest costs of living in the country so I am sure it is less elsewhere.

Originally posted by goheel
Hi,
I'm planning to get a job as a pharm tech after I got in pharm school. Does anybody know how much do pharm tech make per hour? I'm currently volunteer at a hospital, and the pharmacist there told me that I'm basically doing the same job as a pharm tech. Luckily for me, you don't have to take the pharm tech certification test in North Carolina to be a pharm tech.

In some places once you are enrolled in Pharmacy school you can be considered an intern.

When I was in the pharmacy-school game I went from $9.00 an hour in retail to $14.00 when I switched into the pharmacy program.

Talk to your advisor at school.

Fermata, hot and wet, and hot and dry:D

Originally posted by medius
I think they made like 10 bucks an hour in most places

That's about right. Here, after working for a year in some places, you have take the PTCB. Then you make around $12-$14 hr.

The trend would seem, tho is that you will have to be certified before you will be hired. I'm guessing by the end of the year, this will be the case across the board. (At least here, anyway.)

The pharm techs I know personally are making $12-$14 an hour with experience. Go to www.salary.com to get an idea of the salary for your specific geographical area.

I was under the impression (from what I learned from one of the threads on this board) that once you are in pharm school and choose to work at a pharmacy, you will be considered an intern and make a lot more than a tech, and the higher level student you are, the more you make as an intern. Isn't that correct?

I believe it depends on the state when you are considered an intern...some states u are considered an intern as soon as you are accepted.

and as an intern, about $20/hr for first year students?

Originally posted by candle786
and as an intern, about $20/hr for first year students?

Maybe in CA if you're lucky. It's usually 11-15/hr for 1st years here. I have seen 17.50/hr for Eckerd.

Interns here in Vegas get about $14/hr for 1st years, closer to $18/hr for 2nd years.

Interesting. so first year interns don't make that much more than techs. Guess it's better than nothing. That's still not too bad.

Techs...don't make enough.

In MN-started at $9 for a CPht
P1 intern was $11??
P2-$13??
P3-$15
"Extern" (90days before boards to licensure)-$22.50

As a P3 intern in ND, the most I made was $8.50. Too many interns, not enough pharmacies.

damn...are you ppl sure they all make that much or our you just guessing...

I know it depends on area but...here is ohio

Av. TECH pay (retail): 6.50-7.50
Av. TECH pay (hospital): 7.50-8.50
Av. 1st year intern (retail): 11.00
Av. 1st year intern (hospital): 11.00

This is Kroger pharm and St.Vs in Toledo

CVS paid even less for interns (about 9.00)....

just my experiences...

Originally posted by SteveL
damn...are you ppl sure they all make that much or our you just guessing...

I know it depends on area but...here is ohio

It depends on the area quite a bit. I used to live in Michigan and the pay rate was close to Ohio's. Here in AZ, I am sure that 1st year interns are 13-17.50/hour. I make 15/hour as a 1st year intern. The techs that I work with start at 14/hr. The pharmacists make about the same as they would in michigan (39-47/hr). However, the techs in MI started around 6/hr!