How much do schools look at experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peter567

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm a junior in college, and I'm working on all my pre-reqs right now..So far my GPA isn't to hot (2.67) I'm hoping to apply for the PCAT soon. I am a nationally certified tech, and I recently got promoted to Lead Technician at CVS and in the busiest store in my district. How much do you think that helps? How do schools look at lead techs? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

2.71 GPA, BS in Biological Chemistry, 1 & 1/2 years CPhT in a retail pharmacy, 1/2 year in long term care pharmacy (my certification expired and I didn't renew), and now I've been in pharmaceutical research for 7 months. My pre-req GPA is a 3.75 (chemistry doesn't really get hard until Biochemistry 2).

I have been looking at schools for the GPA and they are VERY limited. About half are eliminated already for not having a 2.75 or 3.00. And about 1/4 of that half have a minimum GPA of 2.7. Try bumping it up to at least a 2.8 and get a good comp on the PCAT, or just finish a BS and apply.

Hi everyone!

I'm a junior in college, and I'm working on all my pre-reqs right now..So far my GPA isn't to hot (2.67) I'm hoping to apply for the PCAT soon. I am a nationally certified tech, and I recently got promoted to Lead Technician at CVS and in the busiest store in my district. How much do you think that helps? How do schools look at lead techs? Thanks!

It will be tough with that GPA. A good PCAT score can help and experience will help a little. I wouldn't rely on experience though..

Not impossible, but your GPA is a big blow to your credentials. Quite a few schools won't even look at your application because you don't have the minimum GPA. Retake some prereqs and bump up your GPA, that will probably help your chances more than any experience.

It will be tough with that GPA. A good PCAT score can help and experience will help a little. I wouldn't rely on experience though..

Not impossible, but your GPA is a big blow to your credentials. Quite a few schools won't even look at your application because you don't have the minimum GPA. Retake some prereqs and bump up your GPA, that will probably help your chances more than any experience.

:thumbup: I agree. Although, I have seen people with 2.8 GPA get accepted into well-known schools (UoP) that also got interviews at other schools too. Maybe boost to 2.8 and try again :)