How much do we get paid for GPR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hirohero

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
on average, how much do they pay? I am graduating next year, and don't want to ask my parents for money anymore. Is it enough to have a decent living? (meaning, will I have to live on fastfood?)

Members don't see this ad.

From my interviews, these were what I heard:
65K in NY
58K in Chicago
40K in my current residency in WA
46K in Fresno

These are specific to the residencies I interviewed at and NOT of all the ones in that city.

Members don't see this ad :)
It will be a tight budget, depending on how you manage your money. Also, the cost of living depending on which state you choose, and the salary will also vary. Remember that when you graduate from dental school, you will have a whole summer that you cannot take out loans since you've already graduated. Plus, you will need money to move, rent an apt (first and last months rent plus security deposit). Then on top of that you will not get paid from your residency program probably until 3 weeks in. I thinking getting started on a gpr salary is tough. I had to borrow money from my parents in the beginning, but i was able to manage everything after that. Start saving now.. :)

I was lucky my residency gave us $3000 upfront. Well, less than $3000 since tax is taken off of it right away. It helped with moving and rent.

I really liked my residency. It was a good experience.

I recall one of my friends interviewed at an AEGD that did not pay you at all. Beware of those!

Reactions: 1 user
I recall one of my friends interviewed at an AEGD that did not pay you at all. Beware of those!

I believe that one was somewhere in florida, and in addition to paying nothing there was a fee for instruments. Can't recall the name of the program.

wow, what program was this? none that i'm aware of pay over 46k.

the nationwide average is somewhere around 45k, i believe.

Northwestern. However, there were only 2 spots and you practically go on call every other day. It did not sound pleasant.

Is it true that once you finish a GPR or an AEGD you can get a license to practice dentistry in some states?