How much do you/did you make as a research assistant??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My first job aside from babysitting: $5.65/hr
My first research assistant job (2001): $6.50/hr
Sophomore-senior year: $8-$10/hr depending on the job
Post-bac: Approximately $20/hr plus benefits

So, I'd say $9 isn't too shabby, especially if it's a work study position. If you can show that there are other jobs available that pay better you may be able to ask for an increase before you start the job. But this is risky if they have other people who'd be more than willing to work for the $9. Also, see if you can get free housing by working as a resident advisor at your school over the summer or doing some other type of research program (My school has a bunch that have pretty nice stipends attached to them instead of an hourly wage).

Members don't see this ad.

Don't fret. It took me about five weeks, and that's because it took me three weeks to figure out that most HR departments are resume black holes. There is a list of open jobs, and there is some bored assistant who has nothing to do with that job scanning your resume, remembering that girl she hated that went to that same college, and tossing your resume in the trash before moving on to resume #356 for the same position -- everyone blanket applies to pretty much anything entry-level.

In the meantime, the PI in question already has two or three friends-of-friends in mind and only interviews the four or so candidates sent by HR because they have to, legally.

That's why it takes a bit; you have to find those PIs and email/call them directly explaining your sudden great love for mitchondrial staining or mouse babysitting or best yet, mindless data entry. If you have even the most tenuous job connection, use it. If you have a decent alumni network, use it too. I did get a couple of interviews by emailing any HR department in a ten mile radius. I got serious job offers by digging through departmental web sites, finding projects/PIs/heads of research, and tailoring my resume and cover letter towards them asking if they had an opening...with no research experience. And probably a fair amount of luck.
Which was good, because the dust bunnies in the apartment were only a few days away from replying to my conversations with them.

Ask them what you'll be doing in the position. When I first started researching in college, all I could find that was paid were fairly minor tech related issues. Instead I decided to volunteer in another lab and was given much more responsibilities as a volunteer, on the tenet that I wouldn't cost them any pay. Next semester, after demonstrating competency I was asked to sign on at around 12/hour and got paid to continue what I was doing working for free.

If you think you can continue working in this lab and produce something worthwhile (i.e. a publication) then by all means go for it. However, given that it is only a summer job, you will most likely be unable to. Since money is a concern take a look around and see where it takes you to.

I agree that your first lab job probably won't pay that much...I got a fellowship for my first summer lab job that was around $1200 a month or so...not so much. But, my professor later helped me get a better paying job. I suppose that 9/hour is better than nothing, but I'd still expect more post-graduate.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm looking for a summer job in a lab because I'm fairly lacking in research experience. However, I also have to think about paying rent and saving money for school. The jobs offered at my campus for research positions pay on average $9.00/hour....which is very very low.

Should I just suffer through it and do it for the experience??
How much were you paid for doing research??

I started out at $6.25/hr as an undergrad and now, after graduating and working full time, make $11.00. I'd say $9.00 is pretty fair for an undergrad with no experience.

25,000 / year.
Job title ... " Research Associate 2"

After taxes, fees, parking, retirement, health insurance... $1500 / mo., which comes out to be about $9.50/hr AFTER taxes.

B.S., and lots of undergrad experience.

The benefits are what rock though. Don't pay into social security, and employer-matched 403(a). So, after a year, that's up to $4000 on top of salary.

I'm sure most of y'all's research assistant work is lab-related, but don't forget about clinical research too!

Working on clinical trials normally pays pretty decently (rich pharmaceutical companies....something like $17/hour) and comes with random perks like comped meetings in Costa Rica.

Alas, I work on non-profit clinical research so I only make 12.50/hour unlike my for-profit colleagues....