How much do you save per year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sounds like you live an interesting life. I plan on boating one day
The two best days of your life - the day you buy your boat...and the day you sell it!

Members don't see this ad.

A lot. My savings rate has varied during my time as an attending from 25% of gross to 65% of gross. My income has gone up a lot lately. I think I'm probably saving about 2/3 of net income so far this year.

20% of gross for a "standard" retirement (60ish.) More if you want to retire early or at least have the option to.

How much is a lot? You making like millions or couple hundred gs?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can find out exactly by visiting the blog and reading "the state of the blog".

And it's not that hard to figure out what an average emergency doc makes. Add the two together and that's my income.

And no, it's not millions and may never be. But it's more than "enough." Figuring out how much "enough" is (both income and net worth) is one key to living a happy and content life.

Reactions: 1 user
I think I'm saving about 40% of gross which probably around 75% of net. Not sure of a number but probably around 4 mil. What is this FIRE you all speak of?

I think I'm saving about 40% of gross which probably around 75% of net. Not sure of a number but probably around 4 mil. What is this FIRE you all speak of?

The amount you need for Financial Independence or to Retire Early. Obviously depends on your age and overall assets.

Reactions: 1 user