How much do you trust USMLE world?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

watermen

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok..I came across an explaination on rotavirus vaccination today in USMLE world. It says that rotavirus vaccination was withdrawn by FDA due to intususseption....:eek:

This is so misleading....it was withdrawn and reinstated with a different brand....

Members don't see this ad.

heh, that is what we were taught in our immunology class that it was removed from the market because it caused intusseption in like 1:11000 kids or something, but yet so helpful for those countries that have kids did all the time from this disease. I'd have to look up the exact stat. That's just off the top of my head from last year.

Appears there is a new vaccine, don't know how long it's been on the market. Anyways don't know what the exact question asked off of USMLEWORLD, but what you said I guess is essentially correct. First one bad, this one seems to be better, even though CDC still says that if you have a history of intusseption you shouldn't take it.

heh, that is what we were taught in our immunology class that it was removed from the market because it caused intusseption in like 1:11000 kids or something, but yet so helpful for those countries that have kids did all the time from this disease. I'd have to look up the exact stat. That's just off the top of my head from last year.

You are right. They are withdrawn from the US because of intususeption. What I am trying to get at is, USMLE world did not say that it is used in the US again.

Rotashield by Wyeth Ayerst was the first rotavaccine. Due to 1/10000 incident of intususseption, it was withdrawn in late 1999.

Later on GMK and Merck developed Rotarix and Rotareq respectively....and it is available again, because of lower to almost no incident of intususeption was reported.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good question. Worry not though because the real USLME does not update that quickly unless it is something like they find out that men's brains really are connected to the gubernaculum or something. Also be aware that the FDA is reviewing the newest vaccines because of reported intusseption post administration to see if there is a link.

Good question. Worry not though because the real USLME does not update that quickly unless it is something like they find out that men's brains really are connected to the gubernaculum or something. Also be aware that the FDA is reviewing the newest vaccines because of reported intusseption post administration to see if there is a link.

Yes. How long have the two new vaccines been commercially available? A couple months?

Question banks are like textbooks: expect a lag time of a couple years at least.

I think the new rotavirus vaccine just came out last fall. I could be wrong but I just had peds and I do feel like the new one only became available pretty recently.