How much does a few bad grades affect my chances in getting into Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

htsang07

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a premed student (becomming a junior this upcomming semester) in Stony Brook University. My GPA is around a 3.50 and my science GPA is around a 3.6 at the moment but this semester I got a C+ in a Biology Lab class, but A's in all of my other classes. I also had a few B and B+'s for one Biology class and some other Lab classes in the past. I'm just wondering how the C+ will affect me, Will the Med Schools look at the over all science GPA, or will they look at each class specifically becuase the Lab classes are usually One or Two credit classes so they don't really affect my GPA much but I feel like it just looks really bad.

The class is overwhelmingly difficult for a two credit class, I was thinking about retaking the class but the thing is, if i do retake it, they will just take the average of the two grades and I don't think i will do much better the second time around as well.

I still have a lot of chances to boost up my Science GPA in the future and am definately going to try a lot harder, but What advices can you guys give me? are my chance of getting into med school really low now because of those B's and a C+?

Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about a C+ in a lab. Just keep taking upper-level science classes to compensate for the dip in BCPM GPA. Bs in prerequisites aren't an issue. Adcomms will mainly be looking at the cGPA and BCPM overall GPA.

Your stats look fine despite the the 2 hours of C+. Keep up the generally excellent work you're doing, and you'll be at no disadvantage in the application process.

Members don't see this ad :)
So as long as i keep a good overall science GPA they might over look the C+ and B's?

Thank you.

I wouldn't worry about a C+ in a lab. Just keep taking upper-level science classes to compensate for the dip in BCPM GPA. Bs in prerequisites aren't an issue. Adcomms will mainly be looking at the cGPA and BCPM overall GPA.

Oh and, just to clarify, cGPA = cumulative GPA right, andd what would BCPM mean? sorry..

Yes, cGPA means cumulative. BCPM GPA means the GPA for all Biology, Chem, Physics, and Math classes you've taken which AMCAS will generate for you (and which you can figure out for yourself).

So with this term's grades and all your other BCPM grades, how does it average out? You need to keep track of this, as you'll note on the School Selection spreadsheet stickied at the top of this forum, the BCPM (science) GPA bottom 10th%tile is posted for each school. You need to get it above that number for your preferred schools.

Last edited:
So with this term's grades and all your other BCPM grades, how does it average out? You need to keep track of this, as you'll note on the School Selection spreadsheet stickied at the top of this forum, the BCPM (science) GPA bottom 10th%tile is posted for each school. You need to get it above that number for your preferred schools.

Well for the cumulative GPA I'm at around 3.5 but BCPM grade I'd say around 3.6 including the C+ and Bs, but I didn't think that it includes math so I didn't include my calculus grades in there.. My calculus grade was one B+ and one A. So I don't really know where I stand, but since everyone thinks I'm fine then I'm a bit more relieved.
But for the future, I feel like I will have mostly As since I've been doing better every semester, except the C+...
SO I'm still in the race right?! :)