How much does a neurosurgeon know about the heart?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jayc123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, i know its a stupid question but i have a great respect for NS and i know they have to do so many years of training, and i wondered how much of the body aprt from the obvious areas, NS could work on in an emergency/

For example if a patient had a heart attack during brain surgery would the NS have the capability to treat the heart? Could he do minor surgery?

Like can a brain surgeon perform GS if he wanted to? Or is all the training focused on the CNS, P-nerves, and spine?

Could someone take me through the training of NS, right from the end of medical school?

Sorry for the messy post unfortanetly i have quite severe learning disability.

p.s. I love you brain surgeons! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone with a medical license can to anything in medicine and surgery. That being said, it is unwise and unsafe to do things you are not properly trained in. In your example: If that patient had a heart attack while in the OR the anesthesiologist would notice it based on vitals and EKG and would let the surgeon know. Different types of heart attacks are treated differently. In some cases only medications are given (asprin, BB, ACE-I, morphine, oxygen, nitrates), but with ST changes that patient may need a "procedure" which would occur in the cath lab by an interventional cardiologist.

Why are you asking this anyway??? Is this to settle a bet? I want half