How much does a "W" hurt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theaznfishy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, sorry I'm somewhat reposting the last topic but I'm inquiring more about how much of a negative impact a single "W" can have on your transcript and admissions. In my specific case, it's from a separate college (community college as I already graduated from UCI) and the class itself is becoming too difficult to handle with me trying to apply to grad school and studying for the GREs (Public Health) [for which I plan to apply to medical school afterwards]. My second plan is to take the MCAT again and reapply for both allopathic and osteopathic schools; so technically I'm trying to do both simultaneously within the same year.

I'm really struggling in the class as it is and I'm afraid that the grade itself will just continually dwindle and the due date to drop is coming soon.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a W and have gotten acceptances and lots of interviews....I doubt 1 W will hurt..now if you have a handful of Ws, especially if in the same class..then it might hurt.

hell, i have 3 (none in the same class though) and i'm doing fine. while getting a W definitely does not look good, they are definitely a lot better than getting C's, D's, or F's. if you can pull off at least a decent grade (B- or higher), then you should keep the class. since you're taking the class at another school (more specifically, at a community college), you may not even have to report on your application that you ever enrolled in the class if you do end up dropping it, although i'm not 100% sure of this.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have two W's. I didn't explain them, no one has asked, and I've gotten multiple acceptances.

Agree with above. I have a W and have gone on many interviews with an acceptance. The W did not come up once during any of my interviews.

If you throw a W hard enough, it can cause damage...

I had 3 W's, one from grad school and two from undergrad, all with legit reasons. I was asked about them on my interview, explained the circumstances, and everything turned out fine since I was accepted (edp tho). i think the important thing about W's is to have a thoughtful, legit reason for each one prepared in case you are asked about them.

Well the last eight years have been pretty sketchy. With domestic wire tapping, two wars, a stagnant if not shrinking economy, and slew of suspected criminal activities, I say a "W" could be pretty devastating.:D

It hurts a lot if its in office for 8 years!

(Sorry, its National Politics Day, I had to)

Edit: beat by the post ahead of me, rats