How much does age matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xylitol

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So how much does age matter in the application? My friend says that my age (18) is going to hurt me. But by how much?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it is legal to discriminate based upon age.

But I mean, would some medical schools look at my age and mark me down for maturity?

Members don't see this ad :)
But I mean, would some medical schools look at my age and mark me down for maturity?

Age itself does not matter. What matters is how mature you seem. You could be 30, but act like a 15 year old, and that will go poorly also. Just make sure you show that you are mature during interviews and such.

BTW I am jealous of your interview invites...

Dam, 5 years of research at 18 years old. I didn't even know they let 13 year olds in the lab. Did you graduate high school at 12?

I agree with the other posters, as long as you come off as mature in interviews I don't think it will be an issue.

Thanks for the replies. So age shouldn't hurt me in terms of what they see on paper.. like I won't be screened out pre-interview right?

I graduated high school at 15...

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the replies. So age shouldn't hurt me in terms of what they see on paper.. like I won't be screened out pre-interview right?

I graduated high school at 15...

Why does this keep coming up? It's not like you can do anything about the date you were born. Can you change your race? Your DNA? So what's the point in worrying about it? There are dozens of idiotic reasons people may not like or favor someone...some of that is going to be about biases and prejudism. Welcome to the world, imperfect.

So how much does age matter in the application? My friend says that my age (18) is going to hurt me. But by how much?

If you are as mature and well-rounded as the average 22 year old matriculant, you shouldn't have any problems.

Why does this keep coming up? It's not like you can do anything about the date you were born. Can you change your race? Your DNA? So what's the point in worrying about it? There are dozens of idiotic reasons people may not like or favor someone...some of that is going to be about biases and prejudism. Welcome to the world, imperfect.

It doesn't keep coming up. You brought it up from 4.5 years ago.

Reactions: 3 users

rubio%20troll%20so%20hard.jpg

Much bump. Such Doge.

Reactions: 1 user
I know of a surgeon that started college at 12, enrolled in medical school when she was 16 years old, and started her surgical residency at 20. Her father wanted to prove it was possible to raise a child that would be a prodigy at anything if you focused their talents properly at a young age, and just sort of ran with the idea with both of his kids. If you're in the prodigy boat like her, I'm sure they will give you a fair, if somewhat reserved, assessment.

It's really not all that crazy anyway. Kids in Europe and most of Asia start medical school at 18. We're one of the weird countries that only starts medicine after a bachelor's degree. Good luck.

Edit: She's got nothing on Sho Yano, who graduated summa cum laude from Loyola University Chicago at 12 years old and finished medical school at 16. There are a lot of freaky smart kids out there.

I know of a surgeon that started college at 12, enrolled in medical school when she was 16 years old, and started her surgical residency at 20. Her father wanted to prove it was possible to raise a child that would be a prodigy at anything if you focused their talents properly at a young age, and just sort of ran with the idea with both of his kids. If you're in the prodigy boat like her, I'm sure they will give you a fair, if somewhat reserved, assessment.

It's really not all that crazy anyway. Kids in Europe and most of Asia start medical school at 18. We're one of the weird countries that only starts medicine after a bachelor's degree. Good luck.

Edit: She's got nothing on Sho Yano, who graduated summa cum laude from Loyola University Chicago at 12 years old and finished medical school at 16. There are a lot of freaky smart kids out there.

Whoa.. I have once read about a 15 year old college grad, graduated from Yale law at 20 year old, got Rhodes afterwards, and etc. I feel so incompetent and old..

http://www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk/about/rhodes-scholars/class-of-2012

#firstworldproblems

Whoa.. I have once read about a 15 year old college grad, graduated from Yale law at 20 year old, got Rhodes afterwards, and etc. I feel so incompetent and old..

http://www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk/about/rhodes-scholars/class-of-2012

#firstworldproblems

Meh, I am good friends with someone who started college at 15. Frankly, she isn't over the moon about her situation. Going through high school at a young age prevented her from making meaningful friendships and she had a tough time emotionally and socially in college as well. Let's put it this way, when the rest of us went to parties, she preferred to stay in the dorm and watch animated movies. Now, she's trying to drag me to frat parties and is having serious love-type feelings for the first time, but I'm past that stage and have to work hard to relate to her concerns.

Sure, she's smart and off into the adult world at 19 (21 now), but I would never want that for my kids. I really enjoyed high school and I really enjoyed college. I have made some amazing life-long friendships both in high school and in college (and one from middle school) and I would never want to decrease the number of years I had to enjoy my childhood/teenhood/young adult hood. Life is not all about getting to the "end". I would much rather become a physician at 30-something than 20-something but have lived through all parts of my life "fully".

Reactions: 3 users
If you are as mature and well-rounded as the average 22 year old matriculant, you shouldn't have any problems.

Average matriculate age is 24. I haven't met too many mature traditional students, but they do exist.

I think the average age is higher due to admissions competition. It's just hard to achieve everything necessary to be accepted by the time you are 20-22. You either have it or you don't. Plus, I have a feeling schools love to say they have a really young "prodigy" student. It's good for publicity.