How much does exercise help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted862527

For those who routinely exercise in U.G. or medical school, how much does exercise help you with your attention, memory recall, focus, and overall stress management? Trying to nail down some things to control my stress. If it works for you, what type of exercises do you normally do? (ex: do you only use treadmill 30 mins/day)? Is it everyday? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It helps me a lot with managing my stress while also increasing confidence and making me feel healthier. IDK about memory recall and the other stuff but the gym does help you take your mind off of negative things. I try to go at least 2-3 days a week to have rest for my tiny muscles. I only do it at night or else I'll lose the drive to study hard. I mostly do strength building because I want to get bigger.

How long do you go for at night? 1 hour? 2?

If you build it into a habit the benefits can be great. I know during ugrad I used to wake up early every morning during weekdays and either lift weights or do cardio. From there, I would shower, eat breakfast and head to the library to catch up on studying for 1-2 hours. Granted I did this as an upperclassman with later classes, but nonetheless when built into a routine I felt mental acuity that was not as present during say my first couple years

Members don't see this ad :)
Running definitely helps me focus in studying and stress-relieve. I'd say running in the morning every day/other day is a good way to kickstart your day!

Reactions: 1 users
Gym rat since high school. Great way to sublimate. Pissed off, hit the weights hard and pretend it's the object of my derision.
Weights every other day, rotate all muscle groups. 4 miles cardio after.
5.5 miles cardio (treadmill, ellipticals, etc.) on days I don't lift.
Aprox. 1-1.5 hours in gym everyday, 7 days a week.
Been on this routine since high school. Kept me out of jail.

Gym rat since high school. Great way to sublimate. Pissed off, hit the weights hard and pretend it's the object of my derision.
Weights every other day, rotate all muscle groups. 4 miles cardio after.
5.5 miles cardio (treadmill, ellipticals, etc.) on days I don't lift.
Aprox. 1-1.5 hours in gym everyday, 7 days a week.
Been on this routine since high school. Kept me out of jail.

Nice. "Kept me out of jail," made me lol.

If you're the highly efficient type, exercise in between the sheets helps immensely ;) And you get two birds with one stone!

Lifting helps because I can get my mind off things and focus on the lifts for an hour a day or so. But I think when medical school starts, it'll be harder to keep up a regular schedule and my gym time will have to be compressed.

If you're the highly efficient type, exercise in between the sheets helps immensely ;) And you get two birds with one stone!

Lifting helps because I can get my mind off things and focus on the lifts for an hour a day or so. But I think when medical school starts, it'll be harder to keep up a regular schedule and my gym time will have to be compressed.

Must suppress desire/instinct to spew out so many jokes/innuendoes from that statement. :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
It helps me a lot with managing my stress while also increasing confidence and making me feel healthier. IDK about memory recall and the other stuff but the gym does help you take your mind off of negative things. I try to go at least 2-3 days a week to have rest for my tiny muscles. I only do it at night or else I'll lose the drive to study hard. I mostly do strength building because I want to get bigger.

Same exact

Exercising definitely keeps my mind sharp and relaxed. I do a combination of weightlifting and sprints, but anything that gets your heart pumping can be just as effective

I always liked to ride my bike for about 45 minutes -1 hour in the morning (I have a really nice bike trail overlooking the ocean near my U.G campus ). It keeps me alert throughout the day.

I swim 1 hour a day, then do 2.5 hours of yoga, then sprint for ~ 1 mile, then do 1 hour of weightlifting, then 30 more minutes for yoga. 7 days a week!
But on my AMCAS I listed 2 hours/day for varied exercises lulz.

Members don't see this ad :)
I love working out. Been doing it for about 5 years now and I lift through exams. I have some of my best lifts during finals..

It doesn't help directly with increasing academic ability, but I'm sure the endorphins after working out help relax the body which may help improve study efficiency. This is just broscience.

I go 4 times a week every week. Chest, Biceps and forearms, Triceps and shoulders, and back.

I run. I LOVE to run. I found racing made me hate running, so now I just run for fun. I also try to incorporate weight lifting three times a week and take at least one day off (although sometimes I'll do yoga on that day).

Use it as an anchor around which you can structure your daily routine and timetable and you'll be good!

Also - don't continue doing one form of exercise if it starts to make you stressed. I've stopped doing things I don't enjoy - there's no reason to add additional stress to your life!

I go 4 times a week every week. Chest, Biceps and forearms, Triceps and shoulders, and back.

ImageUploadedBySDN1501697124.254291.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Legs get trained from walking. A common misconception is to train legs; but in actuality, anything more than walking is over-training.

Lol..... yeah no.

OP I have worked out every morning before class for the last two years (started med school recently too) and it really helps me focus in the mornings.

Reactions: 2 users
Lol..... yeah no.

OP I have worked out every morning before class for the last two years (started med school recently too) and it really helps me focus in the mornings.
It was obviously a joke. I really don't train legs though besides occasionally running.

My legs have always been big since I am a short guy, therefore I don't feel the need to train legs besides running. I used to squat 300lbs max for 1 rep in high school when I played american football. There is really no point in maxing out anymore though.

I've stopped hitting legs for about 2/3 years now and my quads are still pretty big when I decide to shave my legs. I'll probably start hitting legs in like 5 years if my upper body overshadows lower body. However, I don't foresee this problem arising because of my genetics.

It was obviously a joke. I really don't train legs though besides occasionally running

Ah I guess sarcasm doesn't travel well in the interwebs. That's interesting my legs are naturally bigger too and I actually work them a good amount because it keeps them leaner and thinner looking. Interesting how the same thing can give different results