How much does "manage a dental office" help in admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CFKazu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please read my previous thread first:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-years-many-challenges-await-me-help.1154955/

After speaking to my parents they decide that my dad will open a dental office next year after I graduate from university (he's currently working in a larger chain of dental offices). I can be a substitute teacher in the local school district in the morning and manage/organize the dental office for the rest of the day. Because my dad still struggles in English (it's harder for adults to learn English because they don't go to school and patient-dentist interaction is not much), I will help my dad in everything from purchasing equipment to insurance to advertisements to dental office regulations (I'll get the position as a manager and my dad will give me salary). In the free time I can also shadow my dad. I'm probably going to do it for a couple of years (at least 2) to also feel if I really like dental or not.

Now the question is how would a dental school evaluate about that? Would they consider it bad because I'm not really doing clinical related stuff in my years off? Or would that help in the process of admission? Also, would shadow my dad count as shadowing? and how would they feel about working at my dad's dental office? Lastly, would 2 years of college (one year JC+one year university) hurt my chances of getting in?

As always, thank you for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Also, how would that compare to things like getting a masters degree, doing a double major or minors, studying abroad, or research?

I hope your fathers practice pans out! Good luck!

I think the personal experience you'll get is priceless. It'll give you an opportunity to learn important aspects of dentistry other applicants may not have. That will look good to adcoms however it's also important to get hands on experience and shadowing. To see specifically what dentists do is different that managing a dental office. The experience you'll get here is good and will contribute to your understanding of the field.

As a sidenote adcoms may be skeptical of applicants shadowing family members. They might think that family members may be willing to bend facts etc. Or sign off in hours that never Happened etc. Not saying you are dishonest in just saying some may have this suspicion. Also many schools require letters to not be from family members.

I would get as much experience as you can through your father but also consider shadowing another dentist who is not family who can vouch for your character and interest in the field.

Community college is just fine . I was a CC student just remember some schools don't accept pre-reqs from CC which you likely have as most pre reqs are entry level science courses one would do prior to transferring to a university

Best of luck JT .

Please read my previous thread first:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-years-many-challenges-await-me-help.1154955/

After speaking to my parents they decide that my dad will open a dental office next year after I graduate from university (he's currently working in a larger chain of dental offices). I can be a substitute teacher in the local school district in the morning and manage/organize the dental office for the rest of the day. Because my dad still struggles in English (it's harder for adults to learn English because they don't go to school and patient-dentist interaction is not much), I will help my dad in everything from purchasing equipment to insurance to advertisements to dental office regulations (I'll get the position as a manager and my dad will give me salary). In the free time I can also shadow my dad. I'm probably going to do it for a couple of years (at least 2) to also feel if I really like dental or not.

Now the question is how would a dental school evaluate about that? Would they consider it bad because I'm not really doing clinical related stuff in my years off? Or would that help in the process of admission? Also, would shadow my dad count as shadowing? and how would they feel about working at my dad's dental office? Lastly, would 2 years of college (one year JC+one year university) hurt my chances of getting in?

As always, thank you for the help!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I hope your fathers practice pans out! Good luck!

I think the personal experience you'll get is priceless. It'll give you an opportunity to learn important aspects of dentistry other applicants may not have. That will look good to adcoms however it's also important to get hands on experience and shadowing. To see specifically what dentists do is different that managing a dental office. The experience you'll get here is good and will contribute to your understanding of the field.

As a sidenote adcoms may be skeptical of applicants shadowing family members. They might think that family members may be willing to bend facts etc. Or sign off in hours that never Happened etc. Not saying you are dishonest in just saying some may have this suspicion. Also many schools require letters to not be from family members.

I would get as much experience as you can through your father but also consider shadowing another dentist who is not family who can vouch for your character and interest in the field.

Community college is just fine . I was a CC student just remember some schools don't accept pre-reqs from CC which you likely have as most pre reqs are entry level science courses one would do prior to transferring to a university

Best of luck JT .
Alright thank you! and yeah, I will definitely try to find shadowing opportunities in my last year of university (hopefully starting next month) and after I graduate as well.

Also, how would that compare to things like getting a masters degree, doing a double major or minors, studying abroad, or research?

All of these qualities and experiences are positive. Spend some time researching and scouring the forums

Reactions: 1 user
Which one do you think would help my app the most?

At this point I recommend you talk to an advisor on campus. Start there . For additional questions feel free to post or PM me.

JT