How much does Research involvement matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

STACM

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The only research I've done was in my non-science major for an honors thesis. Is it going to matter much that this research wasn't like some science research in a lab like most people do?

Members don't see this ad.

The only research I've done was in my non-science major for an honors thesis. Is it going to matter much that this research wasn't like some science research in a lab like most people do?

It won't hurt, but having such research experience might have helped you somewhat.

The most important things are GPA and DAT.

Research can mean a great deal, depending on the school. Some places absolutely eat this crap up. A couple schools attempted to persuade me into Ph.D programs due to prior research. To tell you the truth if you are willing to do one of these routes its basically an instant acceptance into alot of schools. You'll be surprised, make sure you get a letter of rec from the person your mentor, bring a copy of a published article along to your interviews. Most people who are part of dental school administration are full time research faculty. It's just the name of the game when it comes to school politics. So you instantly have a common interest for interviews. This is where schools make millions so they would love to have you researching or assisting a researcher. My school even offers a summer research program which gives first year students $5,000 for 6 weeks of research in the summer. So it could in fact not only get you in, but earn you some nice coin while in dschool.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at Buffalo last November and they did not even mention my research I listed on my application. I was prepared to talk about it so I felt it was a little odd. I thought working with anthrax sounded pretty cool *shrug*

I am sure other schools might put more weight on it, but really it seems they only care about your GPA and DAT scores. Everything else is just fluff.

I interviewed at Buffalo last November and they did not even mention my research I listed on my application. I was prepared to talk about it so I felt it was a little odd. I thought working with anthrax sounded pretty cool *shrug*

I am sure other schools might put more weight on it, but really it seems they only care about your GPA and DAT scores. Everything else is just fluff.

what about the other schools?

i will be doing research this summer. i wonder which schools have high regards for research.