how much does research matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sl332

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if someone could fill me on how big a role research/publications play in the selection process for a cardiology fellowship. I understand this is most likely institution specific but we are talking in general here.
I assume most people who apply have been involved in some kind of research and probably have a publication or two. Can having above average research (for example, research leading to publication(s) in major cardiology journal(s), etc.) make an average or below average candidate (average/poor board scores and/or medical school grades) into a competitive one?

Members don't see this ad.

You are right that it depends a lot, on the institution, the program director, the other faculty, and the tone of the program.

The extreme examples might be, if you are applying to a community program, or one whose primary goal is to train strong clinicians, your basic science research in Circulation may not generate much of an advantage. If you go to a top tier academic program with no research and express no interest in research, your strength as an applicant may be significantly less.

Typically, "research" is not something you do on the weekend, or in a single month-long block of residency. It takes the investment of time and energy. Therefore (IMHO) if you are interested in research, your CV should reflect it. If you find yourself getting into fellowship applications and you have no research to talk about, perhaps it is that because you truly don't have any interest in it? There's nothing wrong with that. I know plenty of people who got fellowships with no publications whatsoever. Just think about it and if you have no interest in research, apply to programs that suit your needs and interests.

To answer your last question, sure, strong research can bump your app up a notch if that if what the program is interested in. Do not, however, overlook the importance of all the other elements of a strong application, contacting programs and PD's, having a good interview, etc.