How much does undergrad institution matter when applying to post-bac?

ikat

5+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Currently applying to post-bac programs (career changer) for next year, and looking at the current class profiles for the top programs, it seems like most of the accepted students went to ivy/other top schools for undergraduate. Does anyone know if this is just a coincidence (maybe more students apply from these schools), or if these programs do prefer candidates from top undergrad institutions?

SeverusSnape

5+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Speaking from personal experience, it's definitely not a coincidence. The top postbacs definitely like students from Ivy/top tiers but they're not exclusive. I would say my class is 40% Ivy leaguers and everyone else is a mix of large public schools and small liberal arts colleges. It definitely helps if you went to one but isn't going to kill your application if you didn't - don't worry too much about it.

campti01

I jog in Lanvin
5+ Year Member
May 9, 2012
Wouldn't worry too much. Like Snape's, my class has a good percentage of students from schools with impressive names. I myself went to a middle of nowhere school with a ~75% admission rate. Some really extraordinary students here went to 'meh' undergrads. When I expressed concern about how my undergrad's name will be viewed by med schools, my adviser vehemently told me that "It doesn't matter at all".

OP
ikat

ikat

5+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Thanks for the responses, glad to hear that they are still possibilities!