How much does undergrad school matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

walleyealx

Keep on Dreaming...
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, sorry about this, but here comes another question!

Im probobly gonna transfer out of georgia tech (avg. gpa is 2.9ish) into either central michigan university(i would get a 4.0 here) or msu (i would probobly get like a 3.7 here).

The order of the "better" school would go as follows if you dont know.

GT > MSU > CMU

However, cmu is number one in certain areas, so its no community college (not even close).

Would it hurt my chances in dental school (i have hopes for UofM) if i got my predental at cmu??

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

go to the best school you can without sacrificing your gpa. a 3.7 is plenty high. a 4.0 without challenging yourself is not as good as a 3.7 that was a challenge.

no, it doesn't matter one bit. but i don't think you can say that you will get a 4.0 at CMU since the avg at GT is a 2.9? Is the average at CMU a 4.0? No.

C'mon now, be fair to those at CMU....a university is a university. do as well as you can, and that's all you can do. rock the dat's and you can put all the GT vs. CMU thing aside.

plus, be ready to explain why you transferred to CMU. hint: the correct answer is not "because it is easier"

jb! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
are you planning on taking all the easy courses at msu or are you just calculating in some extra hard work that you plan on doing? how do you go from a 2.9 to a 3.7? I wouldve thought msu would be the same or harder than georgia tech.

are you planning on taking all the easy courses at msu or are you just calculating in some extra hard work that you plan on doing? how do you go from a 2.9 to a 3.7? I wouldve thought msu would be the same or harder than georgia tech.

hey bro, any word from osU?

georgia tech is deffinitley harder than msu, but, i plan on switching majors, which will make a big difference. i am currently in biomedical engineering and im probobly gonna go biology wherever i go, so thats how my gpa will most likely be better.

I used to be worried about a backup plan, but now i realize i really want to become a dentist and the backup should only be worried about if the main plan doesnt go.

I figured i better focus on my main goal rather than any secondary plans, so im trying to set myself up for success.

I have friends at cmu seeing as its in state, I doubt i'll get a 4.0, i just know i will get like 1.0 higher there than i will at georgia tech.

Undergrad institution matters but not completely on the "grades". I'm starting to think part of it has to deal with the teaching methods at a university as the methods implemented at my undergraduate institution was brought up during some of my interviews.